DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > 3 Point Locking Door Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM  
diyguy85

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CallmeVilla,

With the handles off, I can lube those visible pieces reasonably easily. There are other places I can't reach that I may be able to do from the service hole in the top of the door. Is spraying lube down that ill advised, or is WD40 just not the best option?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

I am just guessing but check the top and bottom of the door for a hole that has been drilled top to bottom. I can immagine they could have installed all three latches and then installed a pin from the top or bottom and then tighten a set screw thru service holes in the latches. If that is the case you may find a set screw that needs tightening in that hole.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 151 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 205

WD40 is not really a lubricant. WD stands for "Water Displacement".

My first thought about the top latch is a stripped gear. but I have no idea how you would access the inner parts. If you can disable the top latch altogether you may be able to live with a two-point security door.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 PM  
diyguy85

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is such a hole, at least at the top of the door above the latches. I couldn't really feel much in there but I didn't have more than a few minutes to look at it, and I didn't have my flashlight handy. So that set screw might be a solution, or it just might be in my way? I also had the thought about removing the upper latch entirely and working with a two point security door but I couldn't seem to make that happen. Maybe that hole on top will make that possible? I wish I could see a diagram of how its laid out in there so I could make a plan with the limited access I do have.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I would be checking that service hole with a set of allan wrenches, see if there is one there to be tightened.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 151 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Have you looked for a brand name on the key? And what can you see if you remove the cover plate on the knob (or whatever you use to lock/unlock it)?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 AM  
diyguy85

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The key says Floyd but its the same key for all our exterior doors including the one inside from the garage. With the handles off, it looks like a circular disk with the square hole for the knob handle to go in. Unfortunately, the connection to the top and bottom latches are not visible at all with the door handles off. I will take a closer look at the service hole in the top tonight when I have more time.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

These guys
http://www.blainewindow.com/index.php
or a similar place near you can probably identify any door mechanism. Send a photo or ask for their catalog.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:33 AM  
diyguy85

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I fixed it! I am not really sure how. As my wise friend says when something good happens "Don't ask questions!" Here is what I did. I took the handles off and lubricated everything inside there I could see, including what looks like bushings surrounding the main knob. I tested it, no difference. I took the cosmetic plates off all three latches and lubed what I could for each there too. Again I tested, no difference. I got on a step ladder and grabbed a flashlight and looked down that service hole. I couldn't see much but I lubed down there too. Again, no difference. I stuck a screwdriver down that service hole and actuated a rod which retracted the latch for all three together. I did that a ton of times, then tested with the handle. The handle would operate the top latch a few times but then seem to click off it and no longer work. Moving the rod with the screwdriver would still work all the latches. I fiddled with it a lot and was about it give up when it occurred to me I should reach for the rod with some needle nose pliers. I reached down there and grabbed what I thought was that rod but it lifted right out of the inside of the door. It was a long rectangular plate with little rollers on it. I panicked because it looked important and I still wanted the other two latches and the lock to work so I pushed it back down in place. It snapped back in place. Before giving up, I tested the handle and weirdly everything works like it should now. Can't give credit to my incredible mechanical aptitude, just the good ole "mess with it until it works" solution. I don't care though, it works now. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Thanks for the update, alls well that ends well

Quick Reply