DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > add in storm windows?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 AM  
millervt

Default add in storm windows?

I have average quality double pane windows with the separate screen windows that clip into the wooden outside window frame with 4 small spring loaded clips that slide into a small hole.

Does it make sense to also have (and are these even available) storm windows that would similarly attach on the outside by taking out the screens and putting these in? I live in vermont so obviously its pretty cold outside, and these windows do let in some degree of air infiltration.

I'm not interested in any inside retrofits for a variety of reasons, and I don't want any solution that, say, screws into the outside of the window frame since that would presumably require me to use a ladder to install them on the second floor, and I am not willing to to schlep a ladder around the house twice a year.

Thoughts? thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM  
Tangelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by millervt View Post
I have average quality double pane windows with the separate screen windows that clip into the wooden outside window frame with 4 small spring loaded clips that slide into a small hole.

Does it make sense to also have (and are these even available) storm windows that would similarly attach on the outside by taking out the screens and putting these in? I live in vermont so obviously its pretty cold outside, and these windows do let in some degree of air infiltration.

I'm not interested in any inside retrofits for a variety of reasons, and I don't want any solution that, say, screws into the outside of the window frame since that would presumably require me to use a ladder to install them on the second floor, and I am not willing to to schlep a ladder around the house twice a year.

Thoughts? thanks!
Hello millervt, Have you seen the storm window from Larson that installs on the inside. Just Google "Larson inside storm window", their website has a video on how they install. The drawback is that you would have to leave the screens in place during the winter to avoid climbing the ladder. The Inside Storm Windows can be special order from any Home Depot.

The other option would be to install traditional aluminum storm windows. these are installed from the outside and include the screen, and you only install once, but you can remove each window or screen from the inside. See attached photo on they are installed.

Your 3rd option would be to replace the windows with either a Replacement type that would include a screen and you could tilt them in for cleaning, or a full window removal with a new construction window--this would be the most expensive of all options.

Let me know how it goes.

~Tangelo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply