DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Adding egress in existing window opening

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default oooooooooo

Well it sounds like a good plan. The getting out part and all.
The problem is that the getting out part is the easy one. The real issue is why we have this code in the first place.
The reason for the 44 inch sill heights and 5.7sq ft window opening is so the fireman coming into the house to save your passed out ,smoke filled lifeless body...and can get you out.
But first they have to get in with their gear, this includes air-packs and tanks for older departments with limited funding.

Your Idea will work to get out, but I always lean to where I will be after the fire ......and what happened and if it is to late for someone in my family.

Good luck in your decision.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM  
smellycat

I am having similar problems trying to install an egress window here in Canada.
Our code is waaaay slacker than yours. Minimum sq footage of 3.8 with no one dimension less than 15inches. There is no sill height requirement. (I have a heavy rattan basket that flips over and makes a step to a dresser sitting under the window where it is easy to climb through)

I bought that fireman stuff originally - but on thinking about it - if I have to wait for a fireman to come and rescue me from my burning house in which I am trapped in the basement and no doubt already unconscious - well - that ain't likely to happen. (with apologies to firefighters everywhere). What is likely is that with proper smoke alarms I would have time to get out on my own - if the window is big enough to do that.

So if homeowners are doing nothing rather than installing windows that don't meet this somewhat ridiculous code - that could really end in tragedy. So go ahead and fix your window so that you and your family can exit safely.

I suspect that the crazy code is to allow for the ever -widening backsides of the population!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply