DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Aluminum Glass Window Replacement Help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 PM  
ets

Default Aluminum Glass Window Replacement Help...

I'm renting a place and broke one glasses on a window, figured it would be cheaper to just do it myself.

I've cleared out the old glass and removed the gluey substance holding the glass. It seemed like only glue was holding the glass toward the interior and a plastic strip was holding it froum the exterior.

I had a glass piece cut out and purchased some sealant.

The problem is I don't really know what to do know.

Do I put glue (with the sealant) to the plastic strips and then put the sealant on the aluminum frame and push the glass with the plastic strip onto it?

Or do I put the sealant on the aluminum frame put the plastic strips and then put more sealant on the plastic where the glass would lay on them?

Or am I totally lost and need other direction? I'm looking to do this in the morning so any help would be appreciated. Thx in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 AM  
ets

Maybe it would be better to ask is sealant the only thing I need to prevent the glass to fall out? I'm assuming the gluey substance is the sealant.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 791 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

Not sure but I think you just put the sealer in the frame and push the glass into that and then replace the trim without sealer.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM  
ets

I was playing with google, and someone else said you don't use sealant on the trim. And sort of capitalized the DO NOT statement. Why wouldn't you?

I was examining the other sections of the window and they don't use sealant either on the trim side. Do you use sealant on the bottom of the trim that on the frame?

Last edited by ets; 08-12-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 791 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

I wouldn't, just replace what you found when you took it out.

Quick Reply