DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > basement replacement window 32"x24" slider

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 10:27 PM  
LMHmedchem

Likes Given: 2

Default basement replacement window 32"x24" slider

I need an ~32"x24" replacement window for my basement. This in not in a window well, but it is a masonry foundation, so I have limited flexibility with the size. I have looked at home depot and lowes and they have nothing in that size they call a basement window. They have hopper windows in that size, but I want a sliding window.

The only thing I could find in that size it this one,
http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windows-Windows-Slider-Windows/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar7zZ1z0xvswZ1z0xuugZ1z0xuwjZ1z0xv96Z1z0xv00 Z1z0xvmx/R-202207817/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

but this is not labeled as a "basement window". I have no idea what the difference is and if this will work or not. Can someone please advise if this window will work, and if not, where I might get a proper window.

LMHmedchem

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM  
nealtw

Liked 682 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

I have never herd of a special window for a basement, unless you are worried about someone falling into it. Then you would just order it with safety glass, more $$.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM  
LMHmedchem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I have never herd of a special window for a basement, unless you are worried about someone falling into it. Then you would just order it with safety glass, more $$.
I am just surprised that lowes and hd have a category called "basement windows", and the one I linked to was not in it. I suppose there could be something different about the flanges, since the exterior ones are going to meet up with mortar. It may be of note that I will need to replace the window frame and will not be sliding a replacement window into an existing frame, which is just a screw and caulking operation. I will have to build some kind of frame to attach this into, trim it, and fill with mortar.

Below is a picture of the existing window from the inside. Tomorrow I will get a picture of the exterior if that would help.

LMHmedchem
basement_window.jpg  

Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 AM  
nealtw

Yup, that,s ugle enough. I have no experience with that foundation, but I would guess that they set the window in place and put rock around it. I think you will want new rough in with treated lumber and then order a window to fit. Find a real window supplier, that doesn't have special order. They just make them to your measurements.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM  
LMHmedchem

Quote:
Yup, that,s ugle enough. I have no experience with that foundation, but I would guess that they set the window in place and put rock around it. I think you will want new rough in with treated lumber and then order a window to fit. Find a real window supplier, that doesn't have special order. They just make them to your measurements.
You are correct about the construction, they nailed the window frame to the underside of the sill ledger and then used granite tailings to shim the sides of the frame to the large granite blocks that make up the opening. These shims were just mortared in place. You can see this on the first attached picture. They used nicely dressed stones under the window, but nothing like an actual sill. These stones don't run all the way the full width of the foundation, so on the inside, they just made a rubble pile from what ever was handy and covered it with mortar.

I was going to pull all of this out and make a new window frame out of 2x6 or 2x8 pressure treated squared off on the table saw. I was going to make the verticals almost twice as long as they are now and run them down through the rubble pile to the large granite blocks lower down and then bury the bottom of the verticals in concrete. I'm a bit unsure how to trim the outside. You can see in the second picture that the old mortar was just run up to the wood on the old window frame. I could wrap the pressure treated and run the mortar up to the flashing, or I could run the mortar up to the pressure treated and then trim the outside with azak.

Since this is a replacement window, would run the trim over a bit as a stop? Would I be overdoing it with 2x stock instead of just using 1x?

I think I more or less know what to do, but it is always more complicated when you get down to it. Of course, the current construction could hardly be more crude and has held up for more than 120 years.

LMHmedchem
foundation_outside2.jpg   outside_window_trim.jpg  

Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM  
nealtw

I wouldn't dig into the foundation. I would just build the frame and set it in there and fill the gaps with morter. Leave the 2x8 far enough out so the rock won't intefer with trim and fill behind that with caulk or morter. With that over hang above you shouldn't need flashing above. Use a peel and stick to seal the window to the frame before you trim.
But keep in mind I have no experience with stone foundation.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 PM  
LMHmedchem

Quote:
I wouldn't dig into the foundation. I would just build the frame and set it in there and fill the gaps with morter. Leave the 2x8 far enough out so the rock won't intefer with trim and fill behind that with caulk or morter. With that over hang above you shouldn't need flashing above. Use a peel and stick to seal the window to the frame before you trim.
But keep in mind I have no experience with stone foundation.
Which peel and stick would you recommend? I haven't used that before.

LMHmedchem

Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 PM  
Precision Home Services
Contractor

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend going to a roofing/vinyl siding/window supplier that sells to contractors and order vinyl slider replacement windows. They can be made to any size and should be made 1/4" less than actual opening. They would be screwed through the side jambs into a wood frame. As Nealtw had suggested build a treated wood frame to fit within the stone and fill in gaps around outside with mortar. You would add insulation to the gap between the vinyl and the wood box and caulk to seal. The outside can be trimmed off with Azek if you want. They may have them available with an outside nailing flange that would attach to the outside of the wood box. Usually new construction windows have the nailing flanges and come in standard sizes. I am not sure where you are located but, I have included the following website for Atrium windows which has a lot of information about replacement windows. Other brands are available but, I would suggest choosing one that has been around awhile. http://www.atrium.com/product.asp?region=e

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 PM  
nealtw

Where ever you buy the window should sell a peel and stick of windows, they should also sell a spray primer that will make it stick to anything. We have used several brands and all seem to be the same stuff.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM  
LMHmedchem

I found a Pella dealer around here who will sell me a custom built window. I have used Pella windows and some door before and they seem to be a good manufacturer. The cost of the window will range from $135-$235 depending the line I pick. The most expensive line has a fiberglass case and not vinyl. I will have to wait until I get the window framed in before I know the final size, but it will probably not be standard.

I can get either the nail flange, or the kind the screws into the frame. Is there a preferable option for this? The only windows I have installed are the kind without the nailing flange. I just overlapped the outside trim 1/2" to create a stop and caulked the seams. Is there some reason to go 1/4" short of the box size? Do you want that much spray foam around the window? It seems that centering the window in the opening would take a little playing around with the screws.

nealtw, do you mean the Protecto Wrap, or something else. I know there is a tack adhesive spray that is also by Protecto. I can't quite visualize where this would go. The only places I have seen this stuff is between the nailing flange and the exterior wall, under the siding. Do you mean to put it around the inside of the wood box under where the window will screw in? If you could post a link to a picture or tutorial, that would be a big help.

LMHmedchem

Quick Reply