DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Best Windows?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 12:50 PM  
Vikeologist

Default Best Windows?

I am looking to replace my old old storm windows with double hung vinyl windows. I live in Minnesota and I was wondering what the best brand of window to get is?

Andersen, Pella, Hayfield, someone even mentioned one i had never heard of. Weather Shield or Vision 2000's. Cant remember what it was.

Anyone have any experiences with any of these and which are the best?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Andersen is my favorite brand; vinyl clad on the outside and stainable or paintable inside. With a twenty year warranty that really works. I have said on here before, "all the other brand's representatives end their presentation with 'they are just as good as Andersen'". Now who has the respect of all the other window companies?
Glenn

Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM  
Kerrylib

We replaced old single pane aluminum sliders w/ tripple pane low-e windows in our old house (wish we could have taken them with us)

They were called Preservation Windows.

Vinyl sash, fiberglass reinforced, warm edge glass, double slidding, etc.

The windows were great. Them company here in Denver area was slow to respond w/ problems like broken panes. The installers were great, just the office was frustrating to deal with.

After getting them installed we had some cold weather. You could put your hand up in front of the window and not feel any chill. Move down over the wall and it felt cold. (ya think the walls were not insulated very well?)

Hope this helps some.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:09 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

I just installed some of Anderson's vinyl-clad wood windows a couple weeks ago, and I love them. Yesterday afternoon was sunny and warm, so I went to open the windows to let some fresh air in...it kinda seemed strange that I didn't feel much warmth from the sun coming through the windows--until I opened them up. I had no idea that the glazes and gas-fillings in these things were so efficient!
I would have preferred all-wood windows, but that would have put us into a $$ bracket out of our league. These, I think, are the best you can find!

Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Yup

Andersen, pella and marvin windows...all good.
They have been tested ...then tested again. All nowaday's are comparable...except price.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-03-2006, 10:27 PM  
Tru_blue

Default Replacement window Options

Hi Vikeologist, you mentioned that you wanted to replace your old storm windows, but then mentioned "double hung vinyl windows." Your post and a few posts after yours then mentioned several brands that are not known for storm windows but for entire new windows, some of which are not vinyl window manufacturers. So I'm a bit confused as to what you're looking for. Here's some of the choices:

WINDOW TYPE
You can either get a) new storm windows, b) replacement windows , or c) new construction (full tear out) windows. Storms merely replace the existing storm windows on the exterior of the home, but do not include the inside main windows. I'm not too keen on them but aluminum would be my recommendation for storms if that's what you're really looking for. Replacement windows are the type in which you would remove your exterior storms, and remove your interior windows but keep the existing window frame, and then install a "replacement window" into that existing frame. All of the manufactures you and others mentioned in previous posts make this kind of window. Full tear out "new construction" windows are the type in which one takes out not only the existing window sashes, but the entire frame as well, exposing the original stud to stud rough opening, and then installing an entire new window unit into this opening. In this way the sashes, frame, sill, etc. are all vinyl (or whatever material you order), and the space between the rough opening and frame can be properly insulated to perfection (my favorite).

MATERIALS:
Windows are commonly made in wood (with a vinyl or aluminum exterior cladding), bare wood (not too common anymore), aluminum, vinyl, or fiberglass. Aluminum is a lousy insulator but great for merely a storm window. Wood, vinyl, and fiberglass are great insulators. Vinyl is usually the cheapest (but not always), wood is usually the most costly (but again not always), and fiberglass is somewhere in between. Fiberglass is usually the strongest, then wood, then vinyl. All three types work fine for your Minnesota weather. You will have to decide if you want the look of wood on the inside, and also look at variables such as expense, aesthetics, warranty, reputation of the company installing the windows, service, performance/energy efficiency, and other options.

BRAND
Among the brands mentioned, they all have very different options. Some of the manufacturers mentioned are vinyl window manufacturers, some fiberglass, some wood with vinyl cladding, some wood with aluminum cladding. Some specialize in new construction windows and some in replacement windows. So it's hard to state which are the best; you would have to qualify your situation a bit more. I tend to agree with inspectorD's comments about brands, but he was referring primarily to clad wood windows; you may be looking for vinyl replacement units, which are not very applicable to those three brands.

This message doesn't fully address your question about brands but hopefully it will point you in the right direction!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Thanks TruBlue, and now for the test. Lay an Andersen casement window on its back across a pair of saw horses, lay any other brand beside it. Now, see which one will hold 5 gallons of water without leaking a drop. Andersen wins every time; if the water doesn't leak through, neither will the air. Nuff said?
Glenn

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM  
JohnnyP

I should have listened to everybody and bought Anderson windows. I went with Atrium 6000 series windows thinking that they were the top of the line windows. The distrubutor was Norandex out of Richmond Virginia. I ordered 22 windows and installed the first one. The first one had drafts coming in between the sashes and the sashes were crooked so one side was higher then the other. I spoked to Norandex and atrium and asked them to take it back or fix it. The manager at both places told me that I paid for them and they are mine - "live with it".

I sold them all for what they were worth - $25 a piece and bought Marvin windows which I am very happy with them.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 AM  
sequimrehab

I will be replacing my windows soon, so i swung by home depot and they were featuring JELD WEN windows.
Anyone have any experience with this brand?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM  
jaros bros.

I have installed just about every brand imaginable and IMO the best windows on the market are Marvin Windows. The quality and performance of Marvin is head and shoulders above the rest. Now you're going to pay a little extra for them, but if you have it to spend, they are the ones to buy.
If I had to be more thrifty I would recommend Anderson. They are a reasonably priced midrange window that aren't too shabby either. I have noticed that the milling and operation of their windows isn't as precise. They do however have an excellent warranty program and something can be said for that.

Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)

Quick Reply