DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > "Bulkhead" Basement Door

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 AM  
dpg1961

Default "Bulkhead" Basement Door

Hello...Newbie here having trouble finding something and I thought I'd give this forum a try. I have an older Bulkhead Basement door (single door type) that opens at the front (I've heard it called "Clam-type"???) Anyways it has springs on each side to help it open and hold it open. I cannot find these springs anywhere and I've tried lots of places. Most doors today are two piece and simply have some type of lever locking system or something. Any suggestions where I can find these Springs? People have suggested all kinds of Spring co. websites...No luck yet. Please help...Thanks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Try the manufacturer or take one of the springs off and take it to a commercial/industrial garage door place and see if they can match it up with something.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM  
dpg1961

Going to try that. No mfg name on the door anywhere and all the logical places can't help, H.D. etc...

Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 308 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Look in the phone book for a commercial bolt and screw warehouse. Theres one here in Nashville that carries all kind of things like that, I'd look there instead of the big box stores.

Is there any way you could re-engineer some of those struts that hold up the lift gates on vans and hatch backs?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 PM  
blnurse

I am interested to know if you were ever able to find replacement springs for your door. I have the same type of door and can't find any information about parts. I really don't want to replace the bulkhead. The previous owner drilled a hole in the hinge mechanism and utilized a bolt as a pin to hold the door open. It works but not the best plan. It would be great to find replacement springs.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM  
nealtw

Liked 647 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

bl; First, welcome. Perhaps a few photos would help. Meny of us have no experience with these doors, but it will give us a chance to think out side the box and maybe come up with something.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Without that picture where all guessing.
Try Googling Bilco. The the largest manufacture of bulkhead door systems.

Quick Reply