DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Cost of new windows...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cost of new windows...

As some of you know, I live in a pretty old home. It is not very energy efficient, but we're trying to change that without changing the "feeling" of the home.

As we strive to be more energy efficient with CFL's, insulation, more efficient applicances, etc., we have one area that we haven't discussed until now...

Windows.

We are considering replacing our single pane double hung windows with more efficient windows of the same style.

We are restricted in what we can do because we live in a historic neighborhood. We can only replace the windows with wood windows (no aluminum, or clad windows)

Before I start calling window contractors, does anybody have a gut feel of how much double hung wood framed insulated glass windows will cost? Are they $500 each installed? $1,000 each installed? MORE???? LESS????

I'm just trying to get a budgeting number so we can plan our projects accordingly.

TIA...

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sucks being told what you can use even if wood is the best choice.
That is probably why you see people with purple houses. At one time they were told they had to have a white house.

Suprising big box stores sell windows made of wood starting around $200. figure another $100 for installation.
Its just like anything else in construction. you can spend as little or as much as your bank account and afford.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM  
ToolGuy

It's really hard to estimate the cost, as there are so many options available and so many variables to the labor involved. If the exterior of the sashes must be wood (surprisingly, since they would have to be painted anyway ), one option is Marvin Tilt Pack. They're available in solid wood and they keep the same dimention as the existing windows. The drawback is that your existing frames must be square and in good condition, or at least made so.

I used sash packs (don't remember what brand) on one restoration project a few years ago. All went in real easy except for 2 windows, which I had to do some extra work to get them square. What I did is carefully removed the old frames intact, and reinstalled them.

Here's a link to the Marvins. There may be other brands that have similar setups. http://www.marvin.com/default.aspx?page=Tilt_Pac_Double_Hung

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 PM  
ToolGuy

Oh, and about the cost. I'm guessing a good average is $650 per window. That's $500 for the window kit and $150 for the installation. But this is really a shot in the dark. You could easily spend a lot more or a little less.

[/I]

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 AM  
gulatilim

if you would like use wood grain unleade pvc windows , i can help you it is arround $150 each.pvc windows

[URL="http://www.pvcwindowmanufacturer.com"]windows manufacturer [/URL]

Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 AM  
ToolGuy

gulatilim, I'm not sure it's appropriate to try and sell him your windows. He asked for information, not solicitation.

[/I]

Last edited by ToolGuy; 01-19-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM  
Hack

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone...

I'm still in the "investigational" stage on this one. I like to plan things our pretty thoroughly before I take the plunge on a project.

I hadn't thought of getting an energy audit. I wonder if PG&E does them at a reduced cost to try to "green" the planet?

One of our biggest costs is heating. We don't usually need A/C in the winter, but we do need heat in the summer. Our double hung windows leak really, really bad, and much of the heat we use is just to get past that leakage.

Another benefit we know we'll get with insulated windows is sound attenuation. We live in town, and traffic noise can be annoying. Our neighbors recently replaced just the windows in their Master BR, Living Room, and Kitchen and it made a huge difference in noise level.

But, first things first...I gotta get the bathroom finished...

Cheers!

Hack (a.k.a. Jeff)

Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 PM  
Kerrylib

If you have old drafty windows, you will appreciate the new upgraded windows. We replaced original single pane aluminum windows that had wood frame interior storm windows installed at some point (still drafty) with tripple pane, low e-glass, vinyl windows and were amazed.

Yes the sound was something we hadn't considered. When we closed the windows it was shocking how quiet it got.

One seemingly odd side effect of the new windows was we needed to actually run the furnace temp a bit warmer to maintain same comfort level. The old windows leaked enough that the furnace kicked on more often and circulated the warm air frequently making it feel more comfortable. With the new windows, the furnace ran MUCH less frequently and thus when sitting around not doing much, the house "felt" cooler.

Installed, these ran us in the $12k range for 8 windows on main level (one of these was a 4 x 7 bay window), plus 5 basement windows. Part of the installation also included wraping the entire frame of the opening w/ oak and oak sills. We had to go through and oil/stain/seal the wood ourselves.

Kerrylib

Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Triple pane.. wow. i havent heard of that yet. Did you get the argon gas too?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM  
dela

Default interior storm widows

Hi, We are putting plexi interior storm windows in our old house and they are actually warmer than the walls!

I posted a video on youtube, you can google it by typing in "Plexiglas Interior Storm Windows". I hate to advertise it because I look so fat but, oh well! I might do a better one sometime but you'll get the information from this one!

We have really thought this over, and I really think that it's better to do the plexiglas at around $30 a window, because double pane gets cloudy before 20years is up, and you will never recoup the money in energy savings! Plus the windows are part of the old home...I hate double pane windows. I've redone all my old windows and they are so beautiful (original finish on the inside, re-done paint and glazing on the outside). You will lose a lot of charm if you take them out, unless they are ugly anyway.

Quick Reply