DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Door won't close

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM  
Dogbert

Default Door won't close

I'm new but I had a general question. I went to bed last night shut the bedroom door. When I awoke this morning it was cracked. Freaked me out because I live alone. I searched my place thoroughly and no one was there. I tried closing the door but it wouldn't close. There are no obvious obstructions or anything getting caught up in the door and the hard ware seems OK. What could be causing it then?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most likely humidity has caused it to to swell enough to jam in the door. Can you slide a business card all round the perimeter when it is in the most closed position?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 AM  
Andersen

Could be a number of reasons:
a) slight misalignment between the bolt and the hole in the door frame that receives the bolt
b) warped door
c) too big a gap between the door edge and the frame relative to the length of the bolt.

[URL="http://www.bayareakitchenremodeling.com"]Kitchen Remodeling[/URL] | [URL="http://www.windowreplacementsite.com"]Replacement Windows[/URL]

Last edited by Andersen; 11-09-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 AM  
padmanaban

Due to cool climate the wooden door expands or bends and sometimes this causes the door not to close properly or sometimes misalignment between the bolt and the hole in the door frame.

Check along the top corners of the door or the straightness of the door. In most cases the door will be slightly curved which results in heavy pressing to close the door.

Thats why proper wood will be used to create the door and door to be installed in proper climatic conditions

[URL="http://www.stormdoorguy.com"]Storm Doors[/URL]

Quick Reply