DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Exterior Sliding Glass Door & Floor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 AM  
o2284200

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Exterior Sliding Glass Door & Floor

SGD leads into exterior patio and is actually on the outside of the opening thus inside the patio or outside of the house. I'd like to replace the SGD with prehung french doors that will sit within the opening. There are currently at least 2 layers of flooring that I will eventually demo & install new tile.

What's best practice for High-Wind Hurricane Zone (HWHZ)?

A) Install the new tile first then install the french doors on top of the new tile.
B) Install the french doors to sub-floor and butt new tile up to french doors.

Thanks!

I apologize, if I don't reply back in a timely manner. I am reading ALL replies and with your help & the help of others, I am tackling projects & making progress...So, thank you!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

You will be looking for all the room you can get so having the threashold on the subfloor would be best.

You will be into rebuilding the header and jack stud or special order door.
The SLG is a window so it is framed for the standard window opening.. 72" wide and 80" high
The double door will need to be 75" wide and 82 1/2" high.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM  
o2284200

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks!

So...B) Install the french doors to sub-floor and butt new tile up to french doors.
Right?

I apologize, if I don't reply back in a timely manner. I am reading ALL replies and with your help & the help of others, I am tackling projects & making progress...So, thank you!!!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Yes as the threashould is seldem attached to the floor, the tile add support against wind, how is the height and width?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM  
o2284200

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks!
First installer told me the opposite "...do the flooring first & then install the door on top".

79"H* x 73"W
*There are 2 layers of flooring currently (Laminate on top of ceramic tile); which I plan to demo at least the laminate & possibly the tile, if necessary. I measured from the subfloor to the top inside the hole.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2284200 View Post
Thanks!
First installer told me the opposite "...do the flooring first & then install the door on top".

79"H* x 73"W
*There are 2 layers of flooring currently (Laminate on top of ceramic tile); which I plan to demo at least the laminate & possibly the tile, if necessary. I measured from the subfloor to the top inside the hole.
Measure the frame not the door, exterior doors are 82.5"+, outsing can be a little shorter. Any door is framed 2" wider than the door, so a double 36" would be 74" plus the stop that is added between the doors so you would need 75"

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM  
o2284200

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Measure the frame not the door, exterior doors are 82.5"+, outsing can be a little shorter. Any door is framed 2" wider than the door, so a double 36" would be 74" plus the stop that is added between the doors so you would need 75"
Thanks! Not sure if I did this right but I didn't measure the old door and I don't have a new door yet so I measured inside the "hole" that I intend to install the new door into.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

That could be problem with a block house, If you pull off some paneling do you get to see the framing or is there drywall there?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 PM  
o2284200

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have not pulled off paneling inside the hole yet BUT I have done so in at least 3 other areas of paneling in the same room, which showed no drywall just block & fearing strips to nail the paneling to. I'm assuming, I'll find the same thing, when I remove the paneling inside the hole...but at this point it's just that...an assumption.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Hopefully the house was built for the french doors but it may have been built for the patio door which wood be 80x 72 and you will be looking at special order doors. $$

Quick Reply