DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Garage door does not open (trolley stuck?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Alu,
what kind of opener is it, and can you post some pics? Your binding up problem sounds pretty strange. I'm just wondering with having the chain off, sprocket and gear changes, etc., things got out of sync as to where the chain is and where the opener thinks it is. When you disconnect the chain from the sprocket on the motorhead, does the trolley move freely on the rail, and also, if you take the chain all the way off, does the sprocket or pulley at the door end of the rail turn freely? How old is the opener?
Mike Hawkins

It is a liftmaster 1/3 HP about 13 years old. I did not change the position of the trolley when I changed the gear/sprocket . I will post pictures and videos later in the day. I have to get them off the camera. With the chain off, the trolley moves freely. One thing I noticed is that I am not able to turn the sprocket on the motorhead with the chain off. Should that turn as well ? With the chain off, the motor and gear/sprocket rotates fine when I press the wall switch. It rotates clockwise and anticlockwise. But I cant rotate it by hand with the chain off. Should it rotate by hand as well ?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 PM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Look at Mike swooping in off the top rope.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alu,
you won't be able to turn the gear on the motorhead by hand. If the trolley moves freely with the chain off, and the motor turns fine with no load, try turning up the force buttons. The button should rotate almost a full turn, not quite. There should be a little arrow which shows which way to turn to increase force (clockwise). If no arrow, there may be numbers from 0 to 9 or something like that. Let me know where it is now and then turn it up some more and see if that gets it to lift the door. If after turning force up all the way the door still doesn't lift, you may have a worn out clutch. If that's the case, replace the opener. Let me know what happens. Also, did you say you just replaced the gear on the motorhead, or went inside and replaced the inside drive gears?
Mike Hawkins

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Alu,
you won't be able to turn the gear on the motorhead by hand. If the trolley moves freely with the chain off, and the motor turns fine with no load, try turning up the force buttons. The button should rotate almost a full turn, not quite. There should be a little arrow which shows which way to turn to increase force (clockwise). If no arrow, there may be numbers from 0 to 9 or something like that. Let me know where it is now and then turn it up some more and see if that gets it to lift the door. If after turning force up all the way the door still doesn't lift, you may have a worn out clutch. If that's the case, replace the opener. Let me know what happens. Also, did you say you just replaced the gear on the motorhead, or went inside and replaced the inside drive gears?
Mike Hawkins
Hi Mike,
I replaced the gear and sprocket on the motor head. It is the part in the middle at this link. I did not replace the worm gear
http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-LiftMaster-Craftsman-41C4220A-Sprocket/dp/B00023RTD6

The garage door has been disengaged from the trolley by pulling the red string. So, basically the opener is turning with the chain removed and garage door disengaged. But once I put the chain back on, garage door is still disengaged, there seems to be not enough torque to rotate the chain.
I am trying to post pictures

Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Videos added.

Trolley moves fine with chain removed off the motorhead
http://youtu.be/lOXXnectGC8
Gear and Sprocket/Motor rotates fine with chain removed. This is how I understand it. When looking from below, if gear rotates anti-clockwise then garage door is opening. Clockwise means garage door is closing.
http://youtu.be/qn6JszP1hS0
I made sure that the motor rotated clockwise i.e. garage door in closed position before trying to open the door. Trolley is on garage door end. Note garage door is not connected to trolley i.e. no load from garage door. The chain is hanging loose (lot of slack). Next press wall switch to open the door. and you see the opener tries to start but something prevents it from rotating and the chain just tightens up really hard on one side. Other side still has a slack. Either there is not enough torque or something else that prevents the chain from moving. Chain tightens up on one side. Then press wall switch again. Just get a buzz and 5 blinks. ..

http://youtu.be/-qgSZ5P4SsU

Old 07-04-2013, 06:53 AM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In your first video, where it shows you moving the trolley back by hand, where is your adjustment bolt that hooks up the other end of the chain to the hole in the trolley? That needs to be there and properly tensioned so that the chain doesn't droop enough to hit the steel track.
Mike Hawkins

Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Have the springs been checked?

Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
In your first video, where it shows you moving the trolley back by hand, where is your adjustment bolt that hooks up the other end of the chain to the hole in the trolley? That needs to be there and properly tensioned so that the chain doesn't droop enough to hit the steel track.
Mike Hawkins
The adjustment bolt is there...I have attached a photo. When I shot that video with my phone it was initially inverted and I had to rotate it to straighten it out. So I dont know what happened there.

But video # 3 is what puzzles me. With the chain loose (droop), and pressing the wall switch, I would still expect the trolley to reverse since there is no load (garage door is disengaged). However, the opener attempts to start and the chain on one side tightens up. Other side is still drooping. It is as if something in the motor or gear is locking up or does not have enough juice to rotate it

Old 07-04-2013, 08:49 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Have the springs been checked?
I have the garage door disconnected from the trolley. Do the springs still get used when the door is disconnected. I am still learning things

Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu2007 View Post
I have the garage door disconnected from the trolley. Do the springs still get used when the door is disconnected. I am still learning things
No, I hadn't read all the post, sorry!

Quick Reply