DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Garage door does not open (trolley stuck?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
No, I hadn't read all the post, sorry!

No problem. Thanks for trying to help.. It is just a confusing problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 790 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

The capacitor should be tested but I'll leave the instructions for that to someone else.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 PM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
The capacitor should be tested but I'll leave the instructions for that to someone else.

Thanks nealtw. I will check it out

Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu2007 View Post
The adjustment bolt is there...I have attached a photo. When I shot that video with my phone it was initially inverted and I had to rotate it to straighten it out. So I dont know what happened there.

But video # 3 is what puzzles me. With the chain loose (droop), and pressing the wall switch, I would still expect the trolley to reverse since there is no load (garage door is disengaged). However, the opener attempts to start and the chain on one side tightens up. Other side is still drooping. It is as if something in the motor or gear is locking up or does not have enough juice to rotate it
Looking at this pic, which side of the chain gets tight when you hit the button? The side in the pic that is attached to the adjustment bolt should be the side tightening up, pulling the trolley back towards the opener head. If the other side is tighening up, then the chain position and the opener are out of sync.
Mike Hawkins

Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Yes the side with the adjustment bolt tightens. So basically should I remove the chain and let the motor run without the chain until it hits the other end of the limt and then put the chain back and try.

I ordered the capacitor but based on what you said, it appears that it may be an out of sync issue. The original capacitor had no visible signs of failure and seemed to show change in resistance per some test instructions I read eleswhere. I ordered it in any case though.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 790 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

It would make sence that it may be pulling the wrong direction.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This is quite puzzling. The side with the adjustment bolt in the pic should be the one to tighten. By that I mean the chain should be pulling the adjustment bolt side of the trolley towards the opener. If it is trying to pull it in the other direction, then I would take the chain off and cycle the opener once and put it back on. Someone else mentioned the capicitor. When they go, you'll usually see a puff of smoke come out of the motorhead, and then the motor won't start after that. You'll just get a click sound with no motion. You may have something more internal going on, worn clutch, bad motherboard, etc. May be time for a new opener. What happens when you hit the button and the chain tightens up, does the motor shut off when everything gets tight, or does it reverse itself and start turning in the other direction?
Mike Hawkins

Last edited by firehawkmph; 07-11-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

The gears rotate fine with the chain off. They rotate completely clockwise and anticlockwise and hit the limit switches as in the first video

With the chain on and with some slack, when I press the wall switch the chain tightens up (the side opposite the adjustment bolt)

When I press the wall switch a second, third time, it just clicks and light on the GDO starts blinking 5 times and repeats over and over. It does not reverse.

The first and second attempt are in the second video.

Thx

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM  
alu2007

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

http://youtu.be/-qgSZ5P4SsU

Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Alu,
after watching the videos again, here's what we know:
1: with the chain disconnected from the motorhead sprocket, the chain moves the trolley by hand in both directions freely.
2: With the chain disconnected from the motorhead, the motorhead cycles back and forth ok.
3: In the last video you posted the youtube link for, the chain that tightens up and stops is the wrong side. It's trying to pull the trolley into the garage door, which won't happen, so the chain just tightens up and stops.
4: It is definitely 180 degrees out of sync as far as the chain is concerned.

If you were to disconnect the chain off the motorhead sprocket, slide the trolley back up to the motorhead and then reconnect the chain, when you hit the button, the chain on the right side of the track as pictured in your last video should be doing the pulling and the trolley should move towards the garage door. Next time you hit the button, the chain should reverse direction and the trolley should move back towards the motorhead.
At this point, if it is working now, reconnect the door and check its travel limits in both directions. You should be pretty close and adjustments can be made with the two little white plastic screws that are marked with an arrow on each one, one pointing towards the door in the up position, and one pointing down for the door in the down position. By turning either screw in the direction of the arrow, you will either let the door travel up more, or down more, depending on which screw you turn.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply