DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Garage door does not open (trolley stuck?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 859 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

It looks like it is trying to close the door, so are you sure you are going the right direction? It looks like you could disconnect the chain and run the motor once putting it in the closed position and rehook the chain, so the motor will pull it toward the open position.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 PM  
alu2007

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Mike and nealtw. I will give this a try tomorrow (Friday) and post back. Have been opening and closing the garage door manually for the past two weeks.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:04 AM  
alu2007

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you guys. That was the issue with the trolley. It was out of sync. The trolley moves now..but now seems like it is a limit issue. On the opener end the trolley stops much before it hits the stop bolt. On the garage door end it hits the stop bolt hard and then reverses. I assume now I have to play with the limits? I'll post a video

Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Told you Mike would know.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alu,
the door is traveling too far in the down position. Find the adjustment screw on the side or back that shows a little picture of the door going down and see which way the arrow in the picture is telling you to turn it. If you turn it in the opposite direction, the door will not travel down so far. Try about a half turn at a time. Run the door down and get it to where it just stops short of closing. Now turn the screw the other direction 1/8 of a turn at a time till the door seats nicely. On the other end, when the door goes up, it is NOT supposed to hit the bolt just in front of the motor head. If it is, then it is travelling too far. The adjustment screw for the door going up will have a pic of the door almost in the up position with an arrow pointing in one direction. Turn the screw in the opposite direction the arrow shows to stop the door from traveling so far in the up position. It should stop short of the bolt. You should be checking the bottom of the door when the door is in the up position to see where it is at in the opening. Normally it will be hanging about 1 1/2 - 2" from the top of the opening. The only time it needs to be higher than this is if you really need the extra clearance because you have a tall vehicle. Try the adjustments and see if you can get it dialed in. Now, one more thing, don't operate the door for more than 6 to 8 cycles without stopping and giving it a rest. Electrical parts get warm inside and you don't want to fry your starting capacitor. They only put so much smoke in at the factory, and if you let it all out, it won't work anymore.
Mike Hawkins

Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM  
alu2007

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsonWashington View Post
Told you Mike would know.
Thanks WindowsonWashington! I have been trying to play with the limit switches now

Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM  
alu2007

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Alu,
the door is traveling too far in the down position. Find the adjustment screw on the side or back that shows a little picture of the door going down and see which way the arrow in the picture is telling you to turn it. If you turn it in the opposite direction, the door will not travel down so far. Try about a half turn at a time. Run the door down and get it to where it just stops short of closing. Now turn the screw the other direction 1/8 of a turn at a time till the door seats nicely. On the other end, when the door goes up, it is NOT supposed to hit the bolt just in front of the motor head. If it is, then it is travelling too far. The adjustment screw for the door going up will have a pic of the door almost in the up position with an arrow pointing in one direction. Turn the screw in the opposite direction the arrow shows to stop the door from traveling so far in the up position. It should stop short of the bolt. You should be checking the bottom of the door when the door is in the up position to see where it is at in the opening. Normally it will be hanging about 1 1/2 - 2" from the top of the opening. The only time it needs to be higher than this is if you really need the extra clearance because you have a tall vehicle. Try the adjustments and see if you can get it dialed in. Now, one more thing, don't operate the door for more than 6 to 8 cycles without stopping and giving it a rest. Electrical parts get warm inside and you don't want to fry your starting capacitor. They only put so much smoke in at the factory, and if you let it all out, it won't work anymore.
Mike Hawkins

Hi Mike,
As you indicated, I have been trying to adjust the limit switches with just the trolley (i.e the door is not connected). . I was able to decrease the down travel limits to position the trolley above the latch which hooks into the garage door. I adjusted the up travel to move the trolley closer to the opener end. However, I find that on each cycle the travel doesnt stay the same. It keeps keeps shifting actually, i.e the trolley moves further in the down direction and the up limit also shifts away from the garage door. On the third cycle it shifts further down and hits the stop bolt on the garage door side and then the trolley reverses. But this time the up travel is only a few inches. There seems to be something going on with the limit switches. However, I dont see any visible issue with the limits contacts. I tried most of the day. Will continue tomorrow and see what else I can find.

Thanks,
Alu

Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM  
alu2007

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu2007 View Post
Hi Mike,
As you indicated, I have been trying to adjust the limit switches with just the trolley (i.e the door is not connected). . I was able to decrease the down travel limits to position the trolley above the latch which hooks into the garage door. I adjusted the up travel to move the trolley closer to the opener end. However, I find that on each cycle the travel doesnt stay the same. It keeps keeps shifting actually, i.e the trolley moves further in the down direction and the up limit also shifts away from the garage door. On the third cycle it shifts further down and hits the stop bolt on the garage door side and then the trolley reverses. But this time the up travel is only a few inches. There seems to be something going on with the limit switches. However, I dont see any visible issue with the limits contacts. I tried most of the day. Will continue tomorrow and see what else I can find.

Thanks,
Alu

I am trying again this morning. Will post back results

Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM  
firehawkmph

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alu,
you should be adjusting the limits with the door hooked up. Never tried to do that without the door being attached. Hard to say exactly what the problem is because I haven't seen what you are doing.
Mike Hawkins

Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM  
alu2007

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Mike,

I think I finally got the limits to work. I was having problems to get the limits to stay. I think it is probably because the garage door is not balanced and may be causing too much drag on the limits. I am going to get the door balanced and post back. For now after a couple of attempts the garage door is connected and limits are holding up. Thanks again for your help. I will post back with more info once door is balanced.

Thanks,
Alu

Quick Reply