DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Garage door won't open all the way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 AM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

[QUOTE=dekor8r2008;16477]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
The 'dials' are the safety feature that you set so that the door won't crush anyone that is underneath it. You can use these to temporarily get past your problem but you will be disabling this safety feature. If yout door isn't opening all the way and tripping the safety, you should look into fixing the real problem. Somthing is obstructing the door travel or there is too much friction in the tracks or the door is being pulled up unevenly. Certainly horsepower may seem to overcome it but usually more modern openers have more safety features and they will be tripping even more unless you fix the real problem.QUOTE]

Sorry, I think I used the wrong word. Perhaps "dials" wasn't correct. It was some tension adjuster or something.

Anyway, just as a follow up, once I got it fixed, it happened again within a week, so I had to call someone to come out and take a look at it. Turns out the door was too heavy for the opener, so the motor had to be rebuilt. Talk about a learning experience!
Huh???? Someone "rebuilt" a garage door opener because a door was "too heavy"??? Something sounds fishy about that. First off, like someone mentioned the door should be configured so that its easy to open and close without an electric opener. This means proper springs, lube, adjustment, etc. It should open and close easily manually.

As for "rebuilding". I do not think the kind of motor that any garage door I have ever seen can be re-built. Even if it could it would be significantly more expensive than replacement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm more familiar with power tools motors. This just doesn't "pass the smell test". I'm afraid someone got suckered.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

northmetrogarage Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=handyguys;16479]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekor8r2008 View Post
.........................As for "rebuilding". I do not think the kind of motor that any garage door I have ever seen can be re-built. Even if it could it would be significantly more expensive than replacement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm more familiar with power tools motors. This just doesn't "pass the smell test". I'm afraid someone got suckered.

Sounds like the kind of rebuild that comes in a spray can.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:57 AM  
OtbHunter

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, that was a "saw you coming" situation. As mentioned before, when a standard garage door is properly adjusted for easy operation by hand... all that should be needed is a 1/2 hp motor to operate it.
You actually may have simply needed new springs. An aside to this is that the removal and installation of wind-up springs is promoted as a very dangerous job ~ when in fact is is quite easy and safe if you know the process. I have replaced my own and two of my neighbors...save us all $100's in labor cost. I learned the easy - safe way to replace them by simply asking an installer on a Saturday when the boss wasn't around.

Life Member = USA + NRA + USMC = Semper Fi

northmetrogarage Likes This 
Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM  
burnselk

Hi guys, I have the same problem, my 16 foot wide garage door (uses two torsion springs above the door) started recently (colder weather) to open about 1 foot or so. I unlatched the emergency release and pulled it up....seems OK. But it keeps happening....not all the time, just occassionally. The door and opener are about 4 years old. The opener is a Craftsman 3/4 hp screw-type opener. I need advice. I understand Chamberlain makes the Craftsman garage door openers and they are the among the best.

By the way, this problem is intermittent. I seems to happen in the mornings. Plus when I release it to raise it by hand, it seems to roll up OK, nothing seems to be binding along the tracks or anything like that.

This problem just started early last week......the door had operated flawlessly before this started happening.

I need assistance to fix this problem....please.

Last edited by burnselk; 10-28-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM  
garyrpayne

Default my garage door opener wont open the chain wont move it

if i help it to open it makes so much loud noise.. it shakes i have to run and turn it off then if i turn it on it goes down normally.. wat can i do??

Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

"Keep in mind that door weight varies depending on temperature and humidity. A door may return safely at a force of 5 in the winter, but require a 4 in the spring."

Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 AM  
AJB1027

I am having a similar problem with my opener. I came home from work yesterday and it would only open about an inch then shut off. I adjusted the screws on the side of the opener, and although it didn't open it, it kept trying, and allowed me to push it open with help from the motor. After I read some other posts, i tried pulling the cord to unlatch the door from the chain, and lifting myself. No way could I do it my self, I almost had a hernia (im 28years old, and have lifted the door in the past....so I know I am physically capable). Could the humidity be affecting the weight of the door? Perhaps moisture saturation weighing the door down? I checked the wheels/track and everything seems to be clear of obstruction. I dont know the exact humidity yesterday, but it was very humid. Any help would be great.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 PM  
amawoman

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default garage door not opening all way

I'm having the same problem just this morning..it never happened before. After reading all the garage forums..i checked our garage door and it looks like everything is fine. So i sprayed the rollers, springs and drums with w40 and it opened up completely. Tested it twice and it won't open up all way for the third time. I'm guessing it's the weather, because it's cold and raining here in our area today. I will have to wait till the weather condition will get back to normal, and if the garage door will continue to give us problem, then I will have to call a technician. In the meantime any help from DIY blogs is greatly appreciated to avoid paying extra expenses if i can do it by myself. Thank you.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:47 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Had a similar situation in a previous house a few years ago. Thing would work fine, up or down, and then all of sudden--nothing. Did a fairly thorough look at the obvious--tightened any/all loose bolts and connections (including electrical), lubed the screw drive, re-tensioned the torsion springs (P.S., they're capable of breaking an arm, so don't do it unless you know how to), etc., etc. Still nada.

Starting to run out of viable options, I happened to take a closer look at the alignment of the 2 safety sensors that will shut things down if the light beam between them is interrupted. Turns out one of them was very loose, I suspect from door/wall vibration, and out of alignment just enough to occasionally trip the motor to off. Repositioned and tightened the loose sensor, and instantly back in business, happily ever after!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the original poster's "motor rebuild required" problem was instead really something similar, meaning she was asked to pay for something not at all necessary.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 PM  
amawoman

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you Bridgeman. Although we can operate the garage door manually, I end up calling a technician. He said the spring we have (we only have one...just left side...model#724) is not enough to carry the garage door weight. So he replaced it with two springs, side by side... I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do...sounds fishy or not...I really have to call someone to fix our garage. I was charged $135.00 with lifetime warranty. The technician gave me lessons on how to properly maintain a garage door. Spray the springs; the drums; the tube that holds the roller at least twice a year with W40. Do not spray the tracks, the plastic rollers and bearings. By the way, I watched the guy while fixing the garage, he didn't do anything like loosening/tightening any bolts or knots, he just went directly to the spring and changed it.

Quick Reply