DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   IGU Insulated Glass Unit (

Tazzman 04-17-2014 06:00 PM

IGU Insulated Glass Unit
I have a single pane of Glass broken in the top sash of a double hung Window. I come to discover that it requires a replacement of the IGU. More importantly I come to discover that all of the local window shops have to get the size custom fit. In other words they need to contact an outside vendor & have it made to my dimensions . My question is whom are they calling and is that vendor or vendors someone whom I can contact?



nealtw 04-17-2014 06:16 PM

Welcome to the site, they are calling the window company that makes windows for them. You could google window manufactures and maybe find someone close to you.

Wuzzat? 04-17-2014 06:31 PM

is about as complicated as it gets.

I'd try to find a standard size and modify the window to make it fit, extensively if necessary. A machine shop can maybe help you. Get several bids.

Nineteen of these windows are all over my house and I dread the day I have to deal with this problem.

One answer may be to replace it with a single pane. Nobody may notice and your change in heat loss may be negligible considering all the other sources of heat loss in your house.

IIRC bathroom windows require tempered glass.

nealtw 04-17-2014 06:36 PM

This is standard proceedure, you might find a window repair shop that can do this but the quality of the seal just isn't as good as the manufacture

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.