lead paint issues
Hi, I have a historic house I am trying to restore and when checked the windows are LOADED with lead. I know I can seal the window frame with latex or oil based but the problems are inside the window frame. Everytime a window is opened or closed will rub off the sealing paint and eventuall bring the lead paint out. I am unable to put new windows in due to it being disignated as historic.
Would a good route be to take out the window frame and use a chemical stripper to get down to the bare wood and paint from there? if not what other suggestions does anyone have?
In my experience, the only thing that will remove the lead based paint is heat and a good scraper. I would seal the lead like you said and don't worry about the surface wearing down. The big problem with the lead is ingesting it and I don't think you will be chewing on it.
The issue with lead paint is the children. The window keeps getting opened or closed and the paint wears off. Then the small kiddies come by and look out the window, getting any accumulated dust on their hands. Then off to the snack shack cookie jar ...and they consume the dust.
Because of education and cleanup , folks have been aware of kids and the paint. But better safe than sorry, children with lead poisoning are still happening.
Clean it up or change the windows is my suggestion.:) Painting with a sealer is a band-aid and false sense of fixing it.
Hope all turns out well.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.|