DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Metal Door Frame with pre-welded hinges help

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM  
NotSoHandy52
Neophyte Homeowner

Default Metal Door Frame with pre-welded hinges help

I recently moved into an apartment where the front door is leaning because the top hinge is broken.

I have never come across this before but it appears that the door is attached to a metal frame that the hinges apparently have been pre-welded into the frame, as there are no screws or anything for me to remove the hinge from the frame side, I'm assuming as a security measure. The apartment complex was built in the 60's which I believe is how old the frame/door is.

Is there any possible way this hinge could be repaired/replaced by doing it myself aside from cutting and welding a new hinge on? What type of repairman should I call for professional work, all of my searches are generally coming up for garage door repairs? Or will I just have to get the landlord to replace the entire frame? Which would be my last resort. Thank you in advance for the replies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

NSH, to House Repair Talk!

Can you post a pic of the door and hinge?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 64

When living in an apartment; I ususally call the landlord, rental office or maintenance team for repairs.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Calling the landlord should be your first, not your last, resort. He may not like the look or performance of any repairs you make, and decide to have it all ripped out and redone (all at your expense of course, since you didn't get his blessings first).

Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM  
njglass
NJ Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
Calling the landlord should be your first, not your last, resort. He may not like the look or performance of any repairs you make, and decide to have it all ripped out and redone (all at your expense of course, since you didn't get his blessings first).
I totally agree, your landlord should be making these decisions. On the other hand if YOU damaged the door you may want to a hire a pro before your landlord sees! There really isn't much you can do aside from cutting the hinges or the entire frame out. I'm assuming this frame is set in masonry?

[URL="http://njglass.net"]NJ Glass[/URL]

Quick Reply