DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Noise after window job

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 AM  
jkb3792

Default Noise after window job

Hello all,

I have recently purchased 5 platinum prism windows and had them installed along with monogram siding, and dow blue board. The windows were capped off and all corners flashed. Now when the wind blows in a certain direction there is a howling noise in the back of my house. The noise can be stopped by opening the back door or back window in just a certain spot. Has anyone come across this situation before??? Any pointers is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM  
green69

We just 8 new windows installed and 3 of 8 howl like a coyotes when the win blows! How do I get this fixed? Everything is flashed and
Caulked...appreciate any experienced advise on this.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've installed hundreds of replacement and new windows and miles of siding and never once heard of this problum. The only thing I can think of is if the windows not latched air can pass through the top seal and might make a noise.
If there cheaper windows with only one latch then it could also have an air leak and make a sound.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM  
jkb3792

I ended up figuring out the problem with my windows and not the useless contractor. There was a cover called a sash I believe, well when I pulled out the sashes, on near the window track inside. There was a tiny hole on each side. I caulked the holes and reinstalled the sashes and the noise never returned. Hope this is whats wrong with your windows!!!! And not something major.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:00 AM  
joecaption

Those holes were there to let water drain, if there not able to drain you should start seeing inside damage to the walls after a few rain storm. Or if it builds up and freezes it will crack the vinyl.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 AM  
joecaption

Window Weep Holes Prevent Water Damage

Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 PM  
jkb3792

I appreciate your comments and concerns joecaptain they are appreciated. I am going off what the manufactuer of the windows told me. That the contractor who installed my windows should have put screws in the holes or caulk them. That is just air flow around the window and that it is perfectly safe to not alow it to HOWL!! through the hole on the inside of my house. I did this over a year ago and there arent any signs of paint chipping from mositure around them.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM  
joecaption

Anyway I can get you to take a picture and post it of those holes you filled? I'm just trying to picture a hole the contractor left open that need to be filled.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 PM  
green69

Quote:
Originally Posted by green69
We just 8 new windows installed and 3 of 8 howl like a coyotes when the win blows! How do I get this fixed? Everything is flashed and
Caulked...appreciate any experienced advise on this.
Mfg. is going to send a rep. out to take a look at the windows. These are higher end windows and 8 of the 11 installed are fine. Howling noise when the wind blows is driving us crazy. I post what the rep. says is the fix.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM  
green69

Default Wind noise after window job

Quote:
Originally Posted by green69 View Post
Mfg. is going to send a rep. out to take a look at the windows. These are higher end windows and 8 of the 11 installed are fine. Howling noise when the wind blows is driving us crazy. I post what the rep. says is the fix.
I talked with the Simonton rep yesterday and he knew right away how to stop the windows from howling. All windows making noise were double hung windows. just below the upper stop for the bottom window, in the side channel casing there was a small hole in the side channel casing. He had me fill the hole with silicon . The rep. stated the noise came from the wind blowing in the bottom weep holes , up the frame channel and then out this small hole. I filled the one hole in the side channel on each side and worked like a charm . Windy today and no noise....

Quick Reply