DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Please Help! Ice inside of my condo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default Well

If it is only you...you need someone there to give you advice on what is happening. You have a source of high humidity, if it is a shared condo system with a shared HVAC system, why does nobody else have this issue? Try BPI: Consumers - Find an Accredited Contractor for a good unbiased on site evaluation. They deal with this issue all the time. If there is nobody available try American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI for a local inspector. Try to find one who deals with these issues. Please tell us what they come up with, it may help others.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:52 AM  
condodweller

Default same issue with condensation in my condo

hi fozzy40

did you figure out what the problem is? i am having the SAME exact problem as you in my condo. my building mgmnt told me i was the only one with the problem, and it has happened 2 winters in a row - never before then. my hardwood floors are starting to get ruined, and i don't know what to do. i had an a/c - heating person check it out and he wasn't sure what the problem was. i also had my dryer vent cleaned out because one person said it could be backed up - trapping hot air in the walls. that didn't solve the problem. my neighbors don't have a problem. i keep my unit fan running 24 hours a day - this is the only time that the problem goes away. but, then it gets too cold in the unit.

did you come to a solution?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:09 PM  
fozzy40

Condodweller,

Ive actually finally received a response from my Board of Directors. Unfortunately, they're trying to get into a pissing contest with me about who's responsibility is it. From what they tell me, I am the only one with this problem. Do I believe them, not really. I have suggested to the BOD that we hire a 3rd party contractor and the cost of the consultation be based on their structural findings: internal (me) vs. external (them.)

I have not dealt with BOD and Condo associations before. Is what I am asking reasonable?

FYI...my solution is still towels

Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Well

Do what you can, then also contact your lawyer for the fine print if it gets to that. This is what is hard about an association.
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM  
fozzy40

The building management company has hired an "independent" contractor. They have hired BRW Contracting (Chicago, IL.) I've gone on those websites that you have suggested but can't seem to find them. Any other ways I can research this company?

Thanks for your help.

Fozzy40

Last edited by fozzy40; 02-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Ask

Ask the Condo folks for a link. They need to disclose who they are sending and why. What are their credentials with the state. Check your Dept of consumer protection. Call the company and ask, they may be in the book.
Keep an open mind, It's good to see your doing your homework.
Good luck, this will take time so document all you can.

Just My
Made in the

Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM  
zoltar1111

Default building

Fred,
I happened upon this thread on my first google search for "ice condensation in patio door".
The reason I am posting here is that I happen to have the exact same problem. Not only do i have this same ice/condensation problem...I LIVE IN THE SAME BUILDING! I didn't realize it until I saw your pictures that you posted.

I tried to send you a private message through the forum, but it seems that you have blocked private messages.

I am in contact with our board, but, so far since our board management has changed over the past year, they do not know anything about your situation...so they are kinda giving me the same runaround they gave you (saying that i am the only one with this problem).
Please contact me...private message will be best...or just post in this thread.
Thanks
Scott

Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fozzy:

The LEAST you should be doing is collecting that condensation on your windows with a towel. It could be that you have more condensation on your windows than your neighbors BECAUSE your windows are in the shaded side of the building, and don't get heated during the day by the Sun.

Putting a circulating fan on the floor will help a lot by warming the surfaces of the window. However, my own experience in my apartment block is that warm air rises within the building, and that warm air carries humidity with it from the floors below. The best thing to solve the problem is to buy a DEHUMIDIFIER, and to set it to keep a steady 50 percent relative humidity in your condo. That will keep your windows dry. You've got more condensation on your windows than would be suggested by normal living alone. I expect the warm air from the condos below yours is rising up into your condo. A fan will help by warming the window, but you really need to lower the humidity in your condo.

My own experience is that the worst windows for condensation in my building are all on the top floor, and the worst of the worst are all on the north east side of the building where they hardly get any direct sunlight on them at all. I own a small 21 unit apartment block, and the top floor suites all come with a dehumidifier to prevent condensation on the windows in winter.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-10-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 PM  
northernwhine

Default Also ice inside

We have ALot of ice on the windows and just now noticed ice on the inside of the walls. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do a simple check. Full a glass with ice water, set it on the table. If water forms on the outside of it the rooms to moist. Just run a dehumidifyer and no water can form on the window.

Quick Reply