DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Possible mold problems??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Hopefully this is an isolated problem and all goes well. I think a law suit would be up to strata and strata can be a whole other problem.
Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 AM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

+1 to the condensation issue.

Are there any pictures of the exterior?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I will post back some pics of the exterior.

in the meantime, I have spoken to the other owners and the strata, the exterior caulking hasn't been redone since construction in 2005 and apparently this is way overdue.

The original builder came yesterday to look at the issue. He strongly believes that the issue is leaky caulking and not window installation and / or building deterioration, but then again, I had a feeling prior to him coming up that he would NOT admit that the construction was faulty..

He looked at the window, inside & outside, the caulking, the partially opened up wall inside, the wood I took out and he said that this leakage was probably very recent (started maybe this spring) as the window frame is aspenite (not sure spelling is right) and that stuff swells up pretty good when wet, and mine hasnt even swollen up a bit..

He recommended to only redo caulking on every window & door, and replace the window sill (plank that I cut a hole into). he explained how to replace it. sounds like a lot of work.

What are you guys thinking of that?

Can I only plug the holes with some kind of waterproof compound (epoxy or polyurethane based perhaps) instead of stripping the window bottom and replacing that plank?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

If the OSB has not swollen, he may be right. The easy way to fix this would be to have HD or someone cut you a peice of 1/2 mdf to cover it fit, just cheat the peoth by a quarter inch, so your old trim will still work, it just leaves you with an extra reveil line at the front. Cover the hole with poly and tape before you cover it.

Before cover it up I would remove a little more so you can inspect under there a little more. You would be looking for discoloured wood (water longer term) and dirty insulation(air movement)

Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Purchase a non-contact moisture meter ($30) to check all and esp. where paint is lifting/dis-colored. If they/you do remove window, don't use f.g. as an air seal around perimeter after proper flashing;http://books.google.com/books?id=a298Hrpiu8AC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=Proski w+%281995%29&source=bl&ots=R3I2-fFVTl&sig=beKYTj24gopGv73x7cKL9XKEyJY&hl=en&ei=MHk NTbCWJou6sQPAiPXyCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result& resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Proskiw%20(19 95)&f=false

Let me know if need window install directions...

Gary

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Window has not been replaced. We opened up the wall, removed the old pink insulation, checked the perimeter to make sure no rot or discoloration occurred, and all was visually fine. I say visually because we did not call a $1200 per hour technician to test for mold spores and yadiyada...

the caulking is worst than I expected. The contractor could peel the whole bead corner using just is fingers. So immediately after the wall was cut open, I went ahead and cut the old caulking off and re-caulked all windows in the building.

The contractor then used expanding foam (special type for windows and doors so it doesnt bow sills when expanding) and poly tape and resealed the window frame. The wall was then patched and painted.

I think this is case closed ... I hope so!

Now its been the second summer I am living here. All year round, I get high RH levels in the house. During winter, I have to open the windows a bit (or run the air exchanger all day) to stay below 50%..

During summer, my dehumidifier struggles to keep the house below 65%. Its a 23 pint per day with a energy factor of 1.20L/kWh. Is it undersized for a 2 story condo (upper unit) with approx. 1,800 sq ft??

I run the bathroom exhaust fan during showers (short & not so hot showers by the way so not much steam) and keep running the fan 30 to 45 minutes after the shower is done

I run the range hood at medium capacity during cooking (its supposed to be around 400CFM)

Windows are all closed 24/7

Air exchanger runs in recirculation between upper story and lower story

Dehumidifyer runs in continuous mode 24/7

I empty the container at least twice per day (1 gallon each time)

What can I do to further reduce the RH levels int he house? Contractor who came here for the broken window said that these condos were built according to the new canadian design guidelines and that they are much much tighter than older holes hence no moisture escaping the premises.. He suggested running a BIGGER dehumidifyer 24/7 or on a timer (cycle or run part time)..

My electricity bills are already sky high. With the dehumidifyer running 24/7 I avegare 150$ per month!! Insane, I live alone and barely keep any light on. Air conditioner doesnt run at all... Obviously no heating as well, and I rarely use the stove. Showers are also short and not so hot..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What floor are you on?

Are the showers vented to the outside of the structure?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am on the second floor. The building has 4 units , two on the first level and two on the upper lebels. Each are 2 story condos, obviously the lower units have a basement while we on top units have mezzanines as a second story.

Its a wood construction with thick rock and brick siding. We have a floating concrete slab acting as a vapor and moisture barrier. Its approx 2" thick.

The building is from 2005.

I am 100% sure the showers are vented to the outside. For my condo there are 4 outside vents, a small aluminum roof chimney (which I assume is for the air exchanger) and 3 white plastic vent traps on the soffit next to my kitchen window. I would think these are for the dryer, range hood and bathroom fan?...

So yes I am confident the showe is venting outside.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the people living in the lower unit right below me are not that smart and are letting the condensarion build up on the windows during winter without doing anything. . Ive warned them several times that they should run the exchanger more. Their philosophy is that they live in a condo therefore they shouldnt do anything about it. I dont get it and I think this doesn't make any sense at all...

I myself very rarely have condensation running down on my windows. Perhaps ive seen it once in 18 months?

Last edited by condoowner; 06-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

I don't have any answers so I will just ask some questions.

RH outside and how does the effect inside RH?

Has the air exchanger been serviced, air flow at vents good?

Would AC do a better job at lowering RH?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Neal,

the outside RH around this time of the year is around 80-90%... Right now, its raining and its 94% outside. I suppose opening the windows to air out the house when its raining doesnt help..

The air exchanger has not been serviced per-se, but I opened it up last summer to verify everything was in order. Everything is fine with it. Its a simple Venmar EA1500, so only a fan, nothing else, no heat exchanger or recovery unit, no moisture removal, no cooling, nothing except air circulation.

I would think that cooling the inside of the house would help reducing the RH, but the real question: is my dehumidifier more efficient than my A/C unit?

I guess I will try both separately and post back with results at some point.

While at it, when I have redone the exterior caulking, I messed up one of the windows (lack of practice and experience). By the time I moved to the next window, I was told to wet my finger when smoothing the caulk. Worked so well that my second window was nearly perfect. Now I'd like to redo the first window. How long should I wait before pulling the bead and redo?? A week? Its been 3 days now and its still gummy..

Quick Reply