DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Rain leaking in window

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, well the house is likely to be sold in a few years and we have two windows that leak like this--only in heavy wind driven rain. I'd hate to pour a few grand into this--a relative's house--when a new owner may end up renovating much of it anyway. I'm hoping a good window guy should be able to do some of things suggested here and make it work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 747 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

What you want is a handyman with a caulking gun. A good window guy will want to poke around and take things apart because he will be worried about mold inside the wall. Can we assume the ralitives are elderly?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 PM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks. Yes, elderly. We've had a few handymen caulkers over already without results. One of the posters did recommend taking a few shingles etc out above the window to investigate.....I'll take another look in a week or so and see if perhaps some loose nails etc might be the culprit--window faces north so heavy winds could certainly drive some water through.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

The wood around the window can absorb water for years before it rots enough and opens up enough to allow water a path right thru. You really need some one to remove the flashing on the outside and inspect the wood. As mentioned the leak often is at the top of the window but the rot usually shows up at the bottom and below. This a health issue and not a money issue.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 AM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Agree it's not a money issue--as far as getting it repaired correctly. That's why I want a good window guy and not any more 'handymen with a caulk gun' as you said. It should be opened up and thoroughly checked out.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was just on a phone with a good window guy--who's too busy this season to do this kind of job. He says opening up the window will help figure out the origin of the leak. He says with many windows that are fine for years that suddenly start leaking the leak turns out to be the roof flashing. Water can migrate from one part of the house to the other. If the window is opened up and no stains are seen behind the jam--if I have my notes right--that would mean the leak is from elsewhere. In that case even replacing the window will not solve the problem.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

That is right but you have to start somewhere. With a modern install evan a roof leak the water would be directed out but in your case where ever the water comes from the window area is still getting wet so an re-install would be a good idea.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 PM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update: Had the original window installer in today. we took a hose and sprayed all around, in, above the window etc; all weep holes drained well, condition could not be duplicated. Hosed water on roof above the area and around roof solatube in case flashing wasn't good. Roof does have good drip edge. It's conceivable that a gutter that empties onto the roof could be a culprit but after thorough hosing no visible water in attic. This was all based on a corner of peeling paint under the window sill that seemed to swell during a heavy rainstorm. Could be a bad paint job that trapped humidity underneath--there may not have been a leak after all. We will be replacing a through the wall ac/heating unit underneath, so when we open that up we should know more. The installer said if this kind of leak was going on for ten years that sheetrock would be much more powdery, brown and you could put your finger through it. This is also next to a stove where cooking goes on. So things may not be what they seemed, but I think we've narrowed down the issues today. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Do they run the fan over the stove when they cook? The window is the least insulated part of the house and moisture will condence there.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:42 PM  
D725A

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is an exhaust fan on the wall to the right of the window--not a range hood. They probably don't use it all the time. There is also peeling paint all over the room, which could be either moisture from roof(?) or a bad paint job. The roofer that was originally hired 10 years ago later turned out not to have the greatest reputation; when I checked the attic I looked up and wondered if there was underlayment there--i was looking for water so I just assumed it was there but when I go back I'll check again. The drip edge and starter strip look ok, but instead of ice and water shield what I felt glued to the deck was a shingle. Things sure get interesting.

Quick Reply