DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Removing Moisture from double pane windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM  
liderbug

I've been thinking about what gas to use in a double pane and seems to me that it really doesn't mater what is used (within reason) as long as it's dry. And the dryer the better. I'm thinking - I've got an old container of helium in the garage - as long as all (99.9%) of the H2O is expelled ..... and I've got a good seal ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 PM  
liderbug

Project under way - my replacement (non-perm) window is built and in place - what da L is the stuff they used to caulk the window into the frame? Or maybe because it's 40 yrs old. Anyway first one is swapped out - can someone give me a pointer on dis-assembling the window. Got to think there is an easier way than what I just went through.

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Replace the whole sash and be done with it.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM  
liderbug

The best quote I was able to get was $75 per window (not-installed) and there are 10 panes. I (we) are retired and living on SS. Could we go for sitting in a lawn chair watching someone else do it? Ya. But that $750 is going to go towards a vacation or taxes or food, not windows. If I can do the whole job for under $100, great. If I can be green and not throw 10 windows in the dump, double great. AND if I can do it myself - triple great

Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM  
Perry525

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The ever changing air pressure on panes of glass causes them to continually flex, eventually weakening and breaking the perimeter seal.
This flexing bellows effect causes the water vapor in the air to enter the space between the panes and create fogging and condensation.
Water vapor always moves to cold and the inner surface of the outside pane is always colder.
Removing the window from the frame and drilling holes in the spacer will enable the water vapor to escape during hot weather, but as soon as it gets cold, the water vapor in the air will move inside and create more fog and condensation.
Once the water vapor has left, it is possible to reseal the glass to the spacer and block the new holes using the type of silicone used to make fish tanks.
I have used this system twice over the last forty years and each time it worked.
What the current situation with those windows is I do not know as I no longer own the property.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM  
liderbug

Update on project - all 10 of my windows have a permanent fog. (well only 7 now). My MO is to cut the spacer at one corner with my saber saw (verrrry carefully) cut about a 2-3 inch slot down the middle of the spacer. That allows the glass in the corner to flex, .002". Just enough for my box cutter to get in and slice 3 sides loose (takes about 5 min), then stand the glass up and cut the 4th side loose. For the other pane a pair of pliers twisting the spacer up & my box cutter and the other side is done in 1 min. I've found my wood chisel does a good job of cleaning the old sealant off. And I've decided 90% clean is just fine because it's going to be covered with new spacer & sealant. I then use Stove Top Glass Cleaner (yes dear I will buy you a new bottle...) and go over all 4 surfaces with my 3/8 drill with buffing pad - med speed, then Windex and a microfiber shop rag.

If you watch the SuperSpacer video (above) I recreated the applicator tool from a 3" piece of 1x2. It applies the spacer about 1/8" from the edge of the glass - very neatly if I do say so myself I have noticed that the finished product is not as "fine" as "factory new" but then you have to get within 3" of the window to see the flake of something that got in as it was getting closed up - but then what's that word??? anal??? Film at 11.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:34 AM  
liderbug

Moving along - 5 done with #6 ready for reassembly. And I've found the leak(s) - on 4 of the 6 windows so far - 1 whole seam was not attached to the glass on 1 edge - I can stand the window up on the bench and with 2 index fingers open it up. - Great job guys.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM  
Dave123

Default Fogged Glass Repair

Liderbug,

Were you able to buy the "Superspacer" directly from the manufacture? Did you have to buy a whole roll of seal (500 to 1500 ft)? Thanks Dave

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM  
liderbug

Default 89% done

I've included 5 images in this post - assuming they display in order - #1 is The Project, our dinning room bay window. Pls take note of all the white **** in the image on April 27th. *^@*^&!$#. The bottom row is done - they were even treated to new screens - ooooooooo...... The first 3 on the top are done, #4 sitting in DR, which leaves #5.

Image 2&3 is my Superspacer app tool - a couple of inches of 1x2 - the first notch is for the glass and the second notch is 1/4"(minus) so as to press the SS to the glass as it slides along. And a little metal finger to hold the SS in place.

Image 4 is another small hunk of 1x2 notched to the width of the finished window (+.001/2") so it will slide. Then I epoxied a strip of metal to one end with 2 notches for the glass and part that fits between the glass that sticks down ?1/16(32)?" - see image 5.

Edgetech sells only to wholesalers - which only sell to dist. - which only sell to retailers - I found one window place locally who would order it for me. However ... Ebay - search for [ edgetech spacer ] - same price I paid. - Only comes in 66' rolls at approx $1/ft - and I'm going to end up with about 40' left over (second roll) (on this project) It'll be fersale.

I injected all of my windows with helium (because I had a left over tank sitting in the garage) - I figured it was "dry". I ran across a web page - .. heat conductivity of various materials. Silver was the best at 429, then Copper at 401, window glass at .96, etc. Helium at .142, Nitrogen at .024 with Oxygen at .024 and (ta-da) Air at .024. Argon at .016 and something called Carbon dioxide at .0146 the lowest. Wonder where one could find that? Anything to keep the Dihydrogen Monoxide (DMHO) out of my windows.

All I can think of right now - Oh, DO NOT lean a finished window against the house during windy weather - you'll end up in a realllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy foul mood!

Chuck

baywindow.jpg   ssapp1.jpg   ssapp2.jpg   silapp.jpg   silapp2.jpg  

Last edited by liderbug; 04-27-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:03 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 372 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 123

I'm interested in how you kept the helium in the air space of the panes.

Quick Reply