DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Replacement windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM  
ScottCh

We got estimates from a few different companies before replacing most of our windows with low-E gas filled windows last year. One company I was originally considering told me that they ensure that there are no leaks by filling all of the gaps between the window and the framing with spray-in expanding foam.

This sounded like a good idea to me until I downloaded and read the installation instructions for the windows that we ordered. In big print at the top, it said not to use expanding foam. It places too much pressure on the window and can cause it to warp, jam, or even break over time. I discussed this with the other contractors and went with the one that already knew not to do this. They did use foam to seal the gaps, just not the expanding kind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 06:05 AM  
EZHangDoor
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCh View Post
We got estimates from a few different companies before replacing most of our windows with low-E gas filled windows last year. One company I was originally considering told me that they ensure that there are no leaks by filling all of the gaps between the window and the framing with spray-in expanding foam.

This sounded like a good idea to me until I downloaded and read the installation instructions for the windows that we ordered. In big print at the top, it said not to use expanding foam. It places too much pressure on the window and can cause it to warp, jam, or even break over time. I discussed this with the other contractors and went with the one that already knew not to do this. They did use foam to seal the gaps, just not the expanding kind.
I would like to think most builders would know to use the low expansion door and window foam

EZHang
[url]www.EZHangDoor.com[/url]

Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM  
EcoChoiceWindows

Yes, Low E windows are your best bet..they will keep your home properly insulated and in turn save you about 30% in energy costs. In the summer, they'll help keep your home cool and in the winter help to keep the warm in. Like mentioned above, one of the main keys in finding a trusting window company to properly install the windows or else it is pretty well pointless.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It is always best to fill the joint between the insulated wall and the window that always has low real insulation values.

Over 60% of the windows are installed improperly and the problems I see, it runs close to 90% since the windows are not as bad as the installation, which is usually "quick and dirty" on replacements. Usually no regard to the opportunity to correct earlier errors and compound them by poor flashing around the hole in the wall.

Tthe best window supplies use CERTIFIED window and door installers, but too often the good ones cost more.

Dick

Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 415 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Dick, you mean you "GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"? I see it all to often.

The excitement of low price is quickly replaced by the dissatisfaction of poor quality.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM  
IntexInspector
IntexInspector

I have always preferred low e , casement style windows, I find casement provide the best seal. I also not to use replacement "inserts" , I prefer full flanged windows.But I do realize in some situations ,particularly in older homes, that inserts may be the only option.MTC

Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 AM  
EZHangDoor
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntexInspector View Post
I have always preferred low e , casement style windows, I find casement provide the best seal. I also not to use replacement "inserts" , I prefer full flanged windows.But I do realize in some situations ,particularly in older homes, that inserts may be the only option.MTC
I agree, when you do a pocket window and leave the old frame and trim, you are relying on the fact the old installation was well insulated, which is unlikely.

EZHang
[url]www.EZHangDoor.com[/url]

Quick Reply