DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Replacement windows - need help! Should I replace these Andersens?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM  
wahhutch9

Default Replacement windows - need help! Should I replace these Andersens?

Hello.. this is my first post, so please go easy

I am currently remodeling a home right now and was planning on replacing the windows as they appear to be older. I am on a relatively tight budget, so am looking at middle of the road replacement windows.

I have a number of windows that are apparently wood Andersen windows that were manufactured in 1983.

I have had a couple companies come in and tell me everything needed to be replaced, etc. Which I kind of expected.

I then had a Pella salesman come in and said that if it was him, he would leave the Andersen windows as those would be just as good, if not better, than any vinyl window that I was looking to replace them with.

The more I thought about it.. of course these other window companies want to replace all of my windows because it's their job to sell new replacement windows. What made me start thinking hard about it is when the Pella man said he would leave them in and only replace the old aluminum windows that I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM  
Dr_Jim

Why do you want to replace them? leaking? Wont open? Problems?
Age doesn't necessarily indicate a problem,......I'm old, and certainly don't need replacing ;-)

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM  
wahhutch9

I'm dabbling somewhat with this home as an investment property to sell. We may sell it to a relative.. but if that falls through, I want to know that the windows will not be a big negative when someone walks through to potentially purchase the home.

They all seem to be in pretty good shape though.

I'm just wondering simply saying that I have double pane Andersen windows would be a better selling point that.. new vinyl windows.

Not replacing them would save me a lot of money... but at the same time, I don't want to go the cheap route if it will hurt me in the end.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 PM  
Dr_Jim

If they look OK,..and work fine,...then I would keep them Anderson windows are highly regarded. Maybe there is someplace else to put that $$......

Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 AM  
jdougn

Dr Jim is right. If the existing windows are double pane Andersen that all work and have clear glass then there is absolutely no gain in replacing them. Clean them up and if needed, apply a fresh coat of paint. In this housing market you will be lucky to break even on any significant upgrades to the house so plan wisely.
just my .o2, Doug

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM  
glass-by-fher

Hi, Have you thought about just replacing this glass on the windows.If the windows are in great shape you be better off just replacing the glass, that way you don't have to tear down the brick , sidding, etc.. then you would have alot more to replace not only the windows.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM  
jdougn

Around here, good quality double pane glass custom made and installed would cost significantly more than an entirly new replacment window. If replacment windows are sized correctly they fit right into the existing window frame.
Doug

Last edited by jdougn; 03-04-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply