DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > replacing a front door (& jamb?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM  
GregC
Quick Belt System

Hope this helped. But really, it would be the proper way of replacing it. I have seen others try to fix or repair and it ends up doing all over again. It S*cks i know, but I think you will be happy after doing it all. Good Luck, GregC

GregC, President/Founder [COLOR="Blue"]www.Quicktoolbeltsystem.com[/COLOR]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM  
cerebalp

When you go to buy a new door, make sure it has a composite sill, an adjustable threshold, and I would suggest steel over fiberglass because it is more efficient. Most steel doors come with a magnetic weatherstripping which makes it seal tighter. Also there is more insulation inside of a steel door since the steel skin is thinner than the fiberglass skin. I would also make sure it has a polyurethane instead of polystyrene. Since the polyurethane is more dense and fills the whole core your door will be more efficient and less prone to rust caused by condensation. Plus if you do it this year you can get a tax credit on most entry doors which is 30% of the cost of the door. The only upside to fiberglass is it dent resistant and won't rust.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM  
Doorguy4ya
door guy 4 ya

Send a message via Yahoo to Doorguy4ya
Default National Discount Door

Try www.nationaldiscountdoor.com

they have lots of good deals on steel clad pre hung doors. Lowes and Home Depot can also special order just about any type of sidelite set up you wish.

also, since you are in a very cold climate state I would reccommend a good storm door to keep the sun light and the extreme cold out. Youre RO (Rough Opening) is all you need to take with when ordering a new door.

Go with decent hardware/locksets that have finishes for holding up to cold weather, such as Hickory Hardware or Schlage.

Quick Reply