DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Rotted window bases...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 AM  
Flightsport

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Rotted window bases...

We just bought a new home which is about 16 years old. It seems when the previous owner got ill, the house went into a bit of neglect and left unattended for some time. During that time I assume the windows were left open as almost every single one of the window bases (the slanted part that the window comes to rest on when closed) is rotted in at least one place. Sometimes its just a small spot, other times its larger. Either way, it's pulpy to the touch and I could easily force a finger into it. The windows are original, double hung with an after-market, bolt-on storm. My question is this:

Short of replacing all the windows, what is the best way repair this problem? Should I have a pro replace just the base? Or is there a way to fill, sand and seal these pulpy areas? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightsport View Post
We just bought a new home which is about 16 years old. It seems when the previous owner got ill, the house went into a bit of neglect and left unattended for some time. During that time I assume the windows were left open as almost every single one of the window bases (the slanted part that the window comes to rest on when closed) is rotted in at least one place. Sometimes its just a small spot, other times its larger. Either way, it's pulpy to the touch and I could easily force a finger into it. The windows are original, double hung with an after-market, bolt-on storm. My question is this:

Short of replacing all the windows, what is the best way repair this problem? Should I have a pro replace just the base? Or is there a way to fill, sand and seal these pulpy areas? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My dog took a chunk out of a post with her lead at an old house we lived in. Instead of buying new wood, I used a simple/cheap wood filler from Lowe's. It came in a tube and I can't recall the name of it. It was gritty and stuck very well to the surface without any prep work. Once dried, I added a second coat because it had settled a little less than flush with the existing wood. Once that dried, I sanded and painted it. It looked great, it was easy to do, and I could do it myself!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 730 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

You can repair rot but you want to remove any suspect wood until you get to what looks like new wood and if it is as bad as you say, I doubt you will be filling. You want to be sure what the cause is and do proper fix so you don't have to do it again.

Quick Reply