DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Should this header be supported by double studs? (

revg 11-16-2011 11:13 AM

Should this header be supported by double studs?
Hi Guys,

I decided to get a window in my living room extended and installed. When the install crew left a bunch of my electrical wasn't working so it prompted me to get a master electrician in to open up the job and check it. He told me the job was very poorly done and nothing was up to code, it was totally unsafe, and the people doing it clearly had no knowledge of the Canadian electrical code.

He then told me that the header they installed is only supported by single studs and he said it looks like it should be supported by double studs. He wasn't sure, but wanted me to ask a framer just to make sure that this header installation was up to code. Here are the pictures. Can anyone tell me if this header should be supported by double studs or not?



joecaption 11-16-2011 12:46 PM

There called jacks, not studs, studs go from bottom plate to top plate. Code or not I still would have used two. They knew the sheetrock was going to have to be repaired anyway and it's easer to fix a wide piece of rock then to patch a small strip of it.
Do you replace that window with one that was just taller or is this a whole new window?
Why is that wire sticking out of the header?
They may have only used one if it's one the gable end side of the house because there's far less weight above it then a front or back wall.

nealtw 11-16-2011 05:41 PM

Out here we call them criples or criple studs. Any header 5 ft or longer should have at least two on each end. As Joe said, It depends on whats above it. If there is a floor or rafters or trusses that land on this wall, it will be a concern. There should be 3 nails or screws every 16" and there should be no holes near the bottom or top of a header.
Let us know what's above.

joecaption 11-16-2011 06:25 PM

A cripple stud is the short ones above and below a window opening, not the one holding up the header. And the full length one to the left and right of the jacks is called a king stud.
Just so were all on the same page, here's a page.
On The House with the Carey Bros. & Rebecca Cole. : The Anatomy Of A Door Opening -> Weekly Project

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 PM.