DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Stain in Double Pane Vinyl Window

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM  
qrufh11

Default Stain in Double Pane Vinyl Window

Just purchased a 10 year old house and noticed an orange stain between the panes on a double pane vinyl window. It appears there was an "egg" stain on the exterior of the window that may have breached the seal and there is orange bacteria(?) between the panes?
The window has brass bars between the panes and would guess that it is quite expensive and would be difficult to match/replace.
Any ideas on how this stain can be cleaned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM  
gmicken

grufh11, If you break the seal on the window, it will loose it's "R" value. If you call your local glass company, they may be able to replace the pane at a cheaper cost. If the joints are glued, it may be harder to fix. But I would let them tell you if they can fix it. Good Luck, G

Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 AM  
Tangelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrufh11 View Post
Just purchased a 10 year old house and noticed an orange stain between the panes on a double pane vinyl window. It appears there was an "egg" stain on the exterior of the window that may have breached the seal and there is orange bacteria(?) between the panes?
The window has brass bars between the panes and would guess that it is quite expensive and would be difficult to match/replace.
Any ideas on how this stain can be cleaned?
Hello qrufh11, my guess would be that if the Egg penetrated the seal, then the seal is broken, and the glass would be partially or completely fogged due to the seal failure. If there is no "fogging" between the glass, then it's possible that the stain has been there since the windows were made.

~Tangelo

Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Find the glass people that seal there own windows, they will be able to selvage your brass and make a new window, Maybe.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM  
ericp

You'd be surprised at how the pros remedy problems with multi-paned windows. I had similar issues with a 14yo home we purchased. In my case, the glass was looking hazy and one even had mildew. Some of the processes the fixit-guys use are pretty amazing, like drilling tiny holes to get at and treat what's going on inside. I found this page, and it helped make my decision easier to hire someone --> Double pane window repair It may help you, if you're still faced with the same problem. GL.

Quick Reply