DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Water leaks at windows (finding the right contractor)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 AM  
drew2000

Likes Given: 3

Default Water leaks at windows (finding the right contractor)

Hey All,
I recently hired a contractor to replace a french door due to water issues. It turned out to be a mistake, because when we found out there was a flashing issue, they would not guarantee their repair against future water leaks. "We install doors and windows, we won't warrant repairs outside of general installation."

I need to get some windows replaced due to water leaks in the frames (some wood rot, stains).

I need to find a contractor with expertise in all areas (siding, windows, and flashing). I want to find someone who has the confidence to back their repair with a written guarantee against future leaks.

Does anyone have any advice? I am in the Northern VA area, and have contacted Case Handyman as a start, because they have a good reputation.

Are there any national certifications for Windows / Siding / Flashing / waterproofing that I should be looking for?

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 849 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

A garrentee is only good as long as you can find the guy that wrote it. Making sure it is done to code is your best bet. He should be able to tell you what he is going to do and why. He should be able to show you pictures of the proceedure and then you should watch that it is done right. The site below is the same as the code we use.

http://www.chambers-house-build-it.c...L-WINDOWS.html

Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 AM  
drew2000

Neal,
Thanks for the link, plenty of good reading!

Andrew

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM  
drew2000

I just checked out county's permit site. Where I live, the county does not require a permit for window replacement. So there is no county-enforced code enforcement for windows. I guess it is just up to me to try and find someone good.

Andrew

Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default and

Make sure you get a copy of the manufacturers instructions, and they follow them. My recommendation for a good installer is to go to the local lumber yard and talk to the folks down there, they usually know who the best are.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM  
EZHangDoor
Contractor

Here is another good link http://www.ezhangdoor.com/installing-house-wrap It's not just flashing you need to worry about, there is more to an installation than that. For doors, I would recommend sill protection instead of just caulking. This will channel out any water that makes its way in. I believe if the installation is correct, you shouldn't have any water coming in.

EZHang
[url]www.EZHangDoor.com[/url]

Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 PM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't imagine what they mean by "outside of normal installation" A normal installation should not leak. I mean I am not that much of a perfectionist but damn, it should not leak. not now, not ever. what's the point of putting it in if it is not weatherproof? so it can rot and someone can replace it in 5-10 years and have to rip out half the wall also? I really hate people who put stuff in half-assed like that.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][B]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quick Reply