DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Wincore replacement windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM  
missdoc77

Likes Given: 1

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. I had a long talk with the founder and CEO of the company - and who did my quote for the Wincore windows. I have a better understanding of the value of the windows and what we'll be getting for our money. After recalculating for 13 windows instead of 9 (I was not counting the twin hung windows as 2), the numbers make better sense. $475 per window falls in the middle of the averages I've found online. These are their best/upgraded windows of their 5400 series. I have a good gut feeling about the company the people I've dealt with so far and we're going to go with them. I've been assured that we will be 110% satisfied... so we'll see. I'll be very anxious to see how the new windows will affect our cooling bill this summer here in the frying pan that is Houston!! Thanks again, everybody. I'll be sure to post here after the job is done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I just wanted to say one more thing, then I'll shut up. :-) ... Check with BBB and see if there have been any complaints against this company, and ask the company to give you a couple of references you can call. If everything still looks good, then you need to decide if it is worth it to you to invest that much money in windows. You will not recoup $13,000 on the sale of the house.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM  
missdoc77

Likes Given: 1

A couple of you have kept missing the fact that I'm NOT paying $13000 for these windows! LOL Good grief, no. That's what they said RETAIL would've been. It's only going to be about $6000.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM  
plasterandlath

go to lowes or homedepot and order the windows; you already have the sizes; get a reliablit window; each window will probably be less than 200 bucks. If these units are truly replacement windows, you can do it yourself. It is really, really easy.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM  
slownsteady

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Most local contractors will install replacement windows. Problem is, each has their own 'favorite' brand, so there's no way to compare apples to apples. If you have worked with a contractor before and you have developed trust, that may be enough to make a selection.

Maybe someone here will be able to give you a quick primer on different kinds of replacement windows (vinyl, wood, etc.). The initial price seems high to me - even at New Jersey prices.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 PM  
nealtw

Liked 679 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 1201

Most times the quality of the window dosn't count as much as the quality of installation. Windows should be stripped out, repairs made and new installed to the newest code requirements. Meny contractor will tell you they can replace the windows without damage to siding or interior, good luck with that, they can make it look good for a few years but they have not solved any proplems from the original installation.

Quick Reply