DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > wind noise from windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Variable speeds of wind, powerful gusts and a quiet fan... That would be very expensive to recreate.
Or just record the audio when the wind is blowing and edit it in loop. Then you can listen on your home stereo or your Walkman

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 AM  
MichiganJohn

Default Vibrating Glass

There's work being done in the auto industry to make a stereo speaker out of the rear window (backlite) of a car. In other words, glass, even 1/8" thick, can be made to vibrate at audible frequencies. So maybe your glass is reaching some kind of vibration frequency with the wind - residential glass is not that thick.

How to stop it: Try a foam-backed tape on the inner surface of the pane of glass that's exposed to the wind, to absorb some of the vibe energy, or maybe something heavier like cardboard. If this knocks down the sound, that's it. Then you could add those fake sectional pane overlays, and hide adhesive-backed foam tape under the strips. Either that, or some kind of ridge/baffle around the perimeter to break up the airflow.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM  
luckyfish

My cousin had that problem and he replaced his with double hung vinyl windows, now he has a quiet house and his bills have gone down because he is saving energy too, he lives in Tomball, Texas and he had a company named Deluxe windows in Montgomery do them, they had the best price and the windows were Don Young brand. I thought the qaulity was very good and I am considering getting them myself, now he say's his wife doesn't make him get up at night to go make the dogs be quiet because they can't hear them. The number to Deluxe is 936-647-4747

Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How does vinyl help over glass in noise reduction?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 PM  
Bdempsey813

I live in a mobile home with a roof over and when the wind is blowing rather strongly but only in a particular direction I get a slight roaring or whooshing sound that changes with wind direction. I have determined it is because of the opening between the mobile home roof and the roofover. Like a whistle, whether it be a roof opening or recessed windows, get the wind just right across it and you get a sound! This occurs only on one end because the shape at the other end of the roof is entirely different.
I suggest the windows be placed more flush to the outside of the home. That would not be as expensive as replacing them, especially if the sound continues with the new ones!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 AM  
harryb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb2468 View Post
If anyone knows exactly what does consistently cause this wind noise around windows - believe it or not, I am actually trying to recreate it. I like the haunted house sound at night - it helps me sleep. I also am working on a project where that noise is essential.

please email me with any ideas on how I can create the wind noise sound.
thanks
Are you slightly mad?

We had issues with whistling in our house which is on a big hill and so gets constant wind. In the end we had to get someone in as the attempts to line it with old jumpers and cloth didn't work!

Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 AM  
designomoly

I'm thinking musical instruments, wind instruments... is there a hollow space with a wind current blowing across the opening, or perhaps through the space and out of a restricted opening or anything like that, a space that resonates nicely...and a bit of caulking would close or fill the hollow space ... to the ghost voice liker... I live in Cape Town where the South Easter is part of our life and our house famously has voices coming down the chimney when the wind blows... once again, a hollow space with a current blowing across the opening, the sound is deep, like a distant murmuring, and when my granddad was very old and ill he sat be the fire place waiting for a message from the people talking in the chimney....its not the classic ghostly drawn out 'whine' its almost musical, its a very lonely sound in a congenial type of way.... I listened to it while meditating and it worked as a sound mandala / mantra beautifully

Old 12-25-2012, 03:20 AM  
designomoly

my present flat (apartment) faces into the south easter... when there is a wind of 33km/h I can't sleep at night... I stopped the rattles of doors with cardboard strips (temporary) the sucking of the curtains with rolled up clothes, the gap under the door with sand bags...my ears keep popping all night, but its mainly the noise of the wind ripping into the building that keeps me awake... ear plugs give me ear infections, I found in the long term... how can I firstly reduce the sudden air pressure changes within the flat that make me feel like I'm in a small plane in turbulence, and how can I reduce the sound of the wind hitting the building without getting involved in structural alterations... thick curtains do help a lot with sound management...any other suggestions

Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sounds like a common problem with a lightweight wood frame home and siding vibration and the sound transmitted through the walls and echoed inside by the drywall.

Dick

Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM  
kdev

I have the exact same problem as Mike. In our master bedroom since last few months we have been hearing really loud wind howling noise as if ghosts are right outside the window making that noise. It is pretty loud and scary at night. We asked the asssociation people as we live in townhouse and they tried everything, replaced the chimney caps, checked the roof, they put some strap around the gutter pipe to make it snug against the wall, etc etc but the problem is still there. and i know it is coming right outside the window but the window is pretty tight and is not rattling. any help?

Quick Reply