DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > wind noise from windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

http://www.windtech.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/13.pdf

Rent a strong fan to duplicate the problem. Run experiments. Make baffles or shields of varying sizes close to the window or nearby.

The pitch is related to the 'cavity' size and wind speed, like a whistle or a bottle with air moving across the top opening.

See what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 02-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 379 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Hate to sound obvious . . . Did you call the window manufacturer? They would hear about these kinds of problems and might have a fix. Why don't yuo post a picture of your windows with the solar shades? A close up of the trim and the corners might be useful too.

I bet it is the geometry of the trim. You can buy me a cup of coffee if I'm right.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

And the shield can be something as simple as duct tape. If it works, the next task is to make something that works as well but looks better.

For auto problems of all kinds there are Technical Service Bulletins detailing fixes that work. There almost certainly is something similar that the window maker publishes that is distributed to installers.

With all the complaints about windows making noise when it's windy I could find no patents on window design that supposedly stops this problem.

Maybe the designs are good but the noise is primarily due to improper installation. Along those lines, when the people came to install our French Anderson doors they used the instructions as a hand towel. And yes, the installation was improper but the doors opened to a roofed porch so we were possibly spared problems because of this.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 02-18-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply