DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Back yard fire pit ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM  
ownerbuilder2012
Aspiring DIYer

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have been looking for some fire pit inspiration, haven't build one though. but i just thought of sharing some photos.

575300_352363221485345_51633432_n.jpg   545462_353285051393162_2057244547_n.jpg   179144_372469176141416_849374543_n.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 181

They look beautiful...but not very comfortable.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:13 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"...not very comfortable. " Use softer rocks.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i like all of those. i may try setting mine more in the ground. right now i have one of the roll around kind with the wheels removed, sitting on landscaping bricks.

you didn't say how big an area you wanted to cover. mine is just sitting on 8"x16" pavers. about the cheapest pavers there are, and probaly most common too. i got mine from a couple different places when i saw them at good prices, and even used off craigslist a couple times. being so common they all match, except a bit of aging difference, which was ok by me. i just added them as i got them 'til i had what i wanted. if you did the trick where you spread them apart to let grass grow bettween them, it would take even fewer to cover an area.

edit to throw in a pic

i'd kinda forgotten what i did. it's not really on the pavers, they surround it. i also remember why i didn't put it in the ground (the pond liner. any new fires will probaly need to be pretty small too). they stop on one side because it's supposed to turn to mulch, but just now looking at it, i may add a few more so mulch doesn't come right up to the fire (guess i'd dampen the mulch down first anyway).

the red pavers were another cheapish find i couldn't pass up, so i got enough to work into a pattern, which let me also pull up a few of the grey ones and stretch the area out a little more.

like the op, i almost never use the pit. i just liked adding it to the outdoor idea. the investment was small enough that i don't regret it.

Last edited by Philphine; 09-23-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

phil, you mite wanta move the fire box about half way between pond and shrubbery/hedge people can sit all around it and sparks aren't gonna do pond liner any good. I've even seen fish hit at sparks at night, won't do them any good.
Want a really small investment on fire tub? Rear rim, brake drum, and half axle from junked car, weld axle at drum; weld drum from junked washing machine or dryer to other end. Looks best too close to nearly scrapped trailer in run down trailer park, where you can also find the junked car and appliances. Remove cinder block from under trailer to keep car from tilting at angle and looking tacky. No need to pave around drum, crushed beer cans will soon cover area. Leave washer motor attached to drum, spinning fire works show.
"Shoot far, Wilber Dean, that's far out!"

But you can go upscale with stainless drum and nicer supports.

fland4ogbvj80m6.medium.jpg   fireimages.jpeg   fire.jpeg   fir.jpeg  

Old 09-23-2012, 06:03 PM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i can't really move it anywhere else. just out of frame on the left is another structure that someone would have to squeeze past if there were a fire burning. it would be about the same situation if it were in some other spot in the area. after posting the pic and looking at the area. i did try out setting some of the extra pavers i had in place to eyeball it some. i think i'll add rows to the spot about where i was standing to take the pic. then you could sit on three sides, maybe, and still be on pavers.

the liner, in the end, i hope won't be exposed to the fire. i have some eggrock to fill in bettween the pavers and the rocks surrounding the pond once i decide i'm done. the fish, i just have to hope for the best. i haven't had a fire in it since i built the pond. i'll just have to keep the fires low i guess, and hope i don't have an impromptu fish fry.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Phil, pro'lly don't have to really worry about the fish. Might want to feed them in area away from fire box, just so they don't congregate down there, expecting food, when people are about. Most sparks go out when hit water N E way, they'll spit out ashes.

Quick Reply