DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Behind shed ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM  
blg002

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Behind shed ideas

Just moved into this house on Aug 1, after cleaning out the mess that was left behind the shed I'm left with a blank canvas to work with and I'm looking for some suggestions. I really just want to build up the ecosystem and have a nice living yard with different animals, plants, birds, bees etc.
A few of my thoughts:

There was a kiddies pool back there just breeding mosquitos. I removed it 6 weeks ago but I still get attacked when i walk back in that corner. I'm thinking about planting some garlic back there because I've read they wont live near it.

That area obviously doesn't get great sun so I was thinking of planting some ferns and hostas. I also though about just throwing some grass seed down.

I want to have something plated that will cover the back of that garage and doesn't get to top-heavy with all the leaves up top and just stems on the wall. I left the ivy in for that reason and hope that clearing out some of the weeds will promote it's growth. I'm not totally in love with the ivy so would appreciate other thoughts. Ideally I'd get something that flowers and attracts birds and bees, maybe a clematis or something. I'd love to have some wisteria on the property, but haven't researched it much so I'm not sure if it would work there.

Bonus points for native plants (I'm in Philadelphia, Zone 6).

Here are some pictures:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 06:32 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 843 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

I wouldn't have anything that clings to the shed, it will just shorten the sheds life. A grape arbor comes to mind. Provides fruit, will grow to hide concrete wall and would be a shady spot in the summer.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM  
blg002

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah i wouldn't grow anything that climbs the red shed. I want something growing and covering up the concrete blocks that make the back of our neighbors garage.

Grape arbor is an interesting idea. I'll have to think about that, i can't really envision how it would fit in that space though. Having a shady spot isn't that beneficial to me, that location is not really a space i will ever relax in.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 843 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

I did find a set of plans. Would have change some dimentions to make it fit.
http://agbioresearch.msu.edu/uploads/files/Research_Center/SWMREC/special_reports/grape_arbor.pdf

Old 10-09-2014, 03:22 AM  
odorf
Junior Member frodo

Location: the one down the road, take a left at the end of the driveway, franklin co, behind a pinetree
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

expand the shed, make a lean to structure from shed to fence
to park the mower, store gas cans, etc.

https://www.icreatables.com/images/shed-imgs/lean-to-shed/lean-to-shed-basic.jpg

or a green house

http://pictures.small-greenhouses.com/a-lean-to-greenhouse-is-perfect-in-limited-spaces-and-offers-easy-access-pros-and-cons-1350243988.jpg

Old 10-09-2014, 06:59 AM  
broadbill

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If it were me, I would move the composters from where they are now to behind the shed. That way they aren't aren't visible from the house but still accessible. I would then plant something (flower bed, hedges, garden, etc) on the side where they are now. I think the light will be better there, and whatever to you choose to plant would not be hidden behind the shed.

I like the idea of a lean-to for extra storage, but sometimes that means you store stuff that you don't need in the first place.

Whatever you do, you will have to get back every once and awhile and keep it clean; the neighbor's vines will likely encroach over time....

Quick Reply