DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > ** Blocking Out the Neighbors **

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM  
HauteShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
How about a roll up screen for when you are out there, 2 painted flagpoles and make sure it is a mesh that you cannot see through, or even 2 of them that overlap so the wind goes through.
Possible outdoor movie screen?
LOL! on the movie screen!

Joey Vegas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
How about a roll up screen for when you are out there, 2 painted flagpoles and make sure it is a mesh that you cannot see through, or even 2 of them that overlap so the wind goes through.
Possible outdoor movie screen?

That's actually a great idea, a lot of places are selling projectors really cheap right now.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM  
ccpyue

Likes Given: 1

Skyrocket juniper trees are narrow with a rounded base and come to a point at the top of the tree. Juniper trees thrive in areas that are dry---and they tolerate cold extremely well. At maturity, the Skyrocket juniper can be 10 to 20 feet tall. Juniper trees are good windbreaks on the edge of the property, as a hedge, and for narrow walkways.

Read more: How to Plant Skyrocket Juniper Trees | eHow.com How to Plant Skyrocket Juniper Trees | eHow.com

Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 PM  
HauteShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpyue View Post
Skyrocket juniper trees are narrow with a rounded base and come to a point at the top of the tree. Juniper trees thrive in areas that are dry---and they tolerate cold extremely well. At maturity, the Skyrocket juniper can be 10 to 20 feet tall. Juniper trees are good windbreaks on the edge of the property, as a hedge, and for narrow walkways.
Thanks for the info but unfortunately I live in the Nevada desert and they wont stand the extreme heat with no humidity...

Joey Vegas

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM  
ccpyue

Likes Given: 1

Default This article said juniper can stand hot weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteShots View Post
Thanks for the info but unfortunately I live in the Nevada desert and they wont stand the extreme heat with no humidity...
Junipers come in a wide range of varieties including ground covers, shrubs and small trees. Junipers are usually densely covered with needles. Ground covers are mound shaped, shrubs grow in columns and the trees are pyramidal shaped. These narrow-leaf evergreens are aromatic. Junipers are dioecious, which means that the male plants produce the pollen and the female plants produce the berries. Junipers tolerate hot weather and poor, arid soils. Some junipers will grow well in the shade. Junipers are commonly used as ground covers, hedges, rock gardens and topiaries.

Read more: Types of Junipers | Garden Guides Types of Junipers | Garden Guides
skyrocket-juniper-tree.gif  

Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM  
GeraldAllen

Planter boxes are a good idea but a couple of drawbacks come to mind. Watering the plants in the boxes might create some run off that stains the existing stucco wall the box sits on. Make sure any type of box or container is anchored down well. You wouldn't want the planter blowing off the wall and conking you on the head while standing at that grill. If you do go with planters there are some ornamental grasses that are good upward growers that would provide a nice screen

Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM  
janellelk

I think planter boxes and trees to the side of the grill sounds like a wonderful idea. Lol, I'm from MN so we are definitely from different climates but this thread caught my attention since I'm going through the same situation. My husband doesn't care about "privacy" but I am definitely concerned.

[URL="http://www.garagefloorcoatingofmn.com"]Garage Floor Coating[/URL] :)

Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM  
DIYHomeDesign

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the long run planting trees would be great. It will add shade and privacy to your home.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 PM  
lh66

Adding some sort of bush or flowers would work by then again not sure if they could survive the Vegas summers

[URL="http://www.need2remodel.com"]Home Remodeling[/URL]

Old 05-23-2011, 02:58 PM  
chaluska
________

have you thought about doing something like this?

obviously the MS paint version may not be to scale!

but some sort of brick wall to blend in with the rest of your patio scheme, and have the same angle as the roof.

If its rounded off nicely in the front, with a nice top moulding, it would look pretty good i think

there is always the option of adding castle like brick window cut outs, anything that would flow with the angles of the existing patio

Last edited by chaluska; 05-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply