DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Lawn Mower spark plug cable

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM  
ccpyue

Likes Given: 1

Default Lawn Mower spark plug cable

This year I tried to start up my 4 stroke lawn mower and it won't start, not even a little sound like it may start up. I suspect the spark plug or the cable has problem. How can I check the spark plug and the cable are working, as while I pull to start, I cannot see the spark plug whether it has sparks. Could somebody give me some advice? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

hold the end of the spark plug cable approx. 1/16th of an inch from the tip of the spark plug and then pull the start cord and see if you have an arc between the two. Best to have an assistant and in a dark area to better see the spark.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM  
ccpyue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
hold the end of the spark plug cable approx. 1/16th of an inch from the tip of the spark plug and then pull the start cord and see if you have an arc between the two. Best to have an assistant and in a dark area to better see the spark.
Thank you for the advice. Will ask my neighbor to help me on this tomorrow. I have one more Lawn Mower problem:

Few days ago, I have the lawn mower first run and it started easily, but the blade screw was a bit loose and sound odd. So I stopped it immediately. After tightened the screw, I cannot start it any more. I have changed a new spark plug today but have not test it according to your method yet. But now, once every 4 ~ 5 times I try to pull to start it, the pulling rope seems got stuck after I pulled approximate half of the rope length, in fact, it seems even pulling back away from me too. It really hurt my right arm now. Any one know what is the reason why? and how to fix it? Thank you.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 PM  
nealtw

Liked 540 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 998

The timing key is soft metal and will be dammaged when hitting a stone with blade.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 AM  
ccpyue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRXYOxwVmO8
The timing key is soft metal and will be dammaged when hitting a stone with blade.
Thank you so much, I totally forgot the flywheel timing key is the problem. Will took it apart today to check on this. Thank you.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 AM  
dustin001

Default Hope I can give you some help

Take the spark plug out of the head and then place the sparkplug wire back on the plug.Ground the plug on the engine and then turn the engine over and see if you have a spark.If no spark, then do the same thing with just the wire by putting a Philips screwdriver in place of the plug, ground it to turn over the engine and see if there is a spark. If there is, then the plug is bad. If not, then the coil or flywheel is bad.

Quick Reply