DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > New boxwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM  
dakuda

Default New boxwoods

I just planted 11 boxwoods in the front of my house. How much water do they need to 'set in' to the yard?

I live near Chicago, and it hasn't rained in a while - but it looks like it might tonight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM  
Allison1888

I would water them for 10-15 minutes, slow drip, every three days. I'm in Chicago as well and this summer has been tricky with watering--it says it will rain, but it only rains for 3 minutes and it doesn't really help the plants. Also, remember to water the base of the plant, not overhead.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM  
dakuda

The boxwoods seem to be doing OK. I have been using a soaker hose.

The hydrangea seems to be a problem. It was planted at the same time and the flowers have half closed up and it is dropping. I hope this is just the shock that I have heard about.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 433 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
The boxwoods seem to be doing OK. I have been using a soaker hose.

The hydrangea seems to be a problem. It was planted at the same time and the flowers have half closed up and it is dropping. I hope this is just the shock that I have heard about.
Dakuda, good to see you back around here again. We missed you. Don't be a stranger.

This time of year is a hard time to establish plants. Don't give up on them if they seem to loose leaves, but dont over water either.

That being said, anything at my house that is green at the end of summer, after I've nurtured, cared, watered, fertilized is most probably a weed, so...

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM  
Allison1888

Default hydrangea

Hydrangea tend to show you very quickly if they need water, so I would go ahead and water them if they are drooping. When you planted them, did you mix in a root stimulator (I use an organic one... I think it's from Espoma)? If not, it can't hurt to hand dig around the hold a little and mix some in. (Don't use the chemical ones, as they can burn the roots). And, mulch if you haven't already, but leave a few inches around the base of the plant so it can breathe! I also cover my hydrangea during the winter -- burlap attached to metal stakes works fine--don't trust these Chicago winters.

Quick Reply