DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Rainwater Harvesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM  
kwmainer

Hum... Rain barrels. Usually in Florida, we get too much rain at one time and not enough in the rest of the seasons. In maine, seems like rain barrels or cisterns are the way to go. Alot of farms have a farm pond too. I grew up on maine land that had 3 major springs rising to the surface. Two of them, we used for drinking water (was tested and certified).

To inspector and nestor..
Here in florida, I'll sometimes put a very small amount of bleach in the water to control mosquitos, but more commonly, to control mildew or mold. Another trick for mosquitos if using a barrel type holding tank, is to put just enough oil (like cooking oil... NOT motor oil, lol) over the top. Larvee cannot live, adults can't lay eggs. I'll also periodically empty a barrel and let sun-bleach for a week or so, until I need it again.

We collect water off of our roof, for irrigation purposes.

Instead of gutters, we tend to use rain chains. They're easier for us to remove than gutters, whenever we have a hurricane warning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 PM  
go sunny

thank you for sharing indeed, about the rain barrel and how to prevent mosquitoes in the water. I collect rain water for irrigation purposes, however, from time to time, we have the mosquito problems and other bug problems, I will try to add oil on the water.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 PM  
leeza09

To prevent the mosquitoes breeding try to cover the rain water barrel, because using any chemical will ultimately harm the plant as you are going to use that water for watering the plant.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 PM  
LindaDellar

Default Rainwater harvesting

I think this whole idea of collecting rainwater to use in your garden is an excellent idea! Putting a barrel under each down pipe or gutter is a pretty simple thing to have to do. I am definately going to work on this. Thanks for all for the information.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM  
frozenstar

Wow. Very brilliant idea! That could definitely help to save water consumption! I will take this advice! Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM  
backyardcity

Rainwater collection is super easy and is great for the environment. If you live in an area with a water shortage, this is also a great way to make your water go further. You can create your own pretty easily, but most of the commercial options are built to prevent stagnation and keep mosquitos at bay so I would check out those options!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 AM  
jencypavia

Rain water collection is an easy way to encourage earth-friendly habits by incorporating green home design into any existing dwelling. Rain storage allows the home-owner to save money by recycling rainwater for use in the garden, filling a pond or washing the car. Water is a finite resource and unlimited development will punish the citizens of Arizona eventually.

[URL="http://www.gembuild.co.uk"]garden office[/URL]

Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM  
a40961

Default Rain Barrels

I purchased the large (52 gal I think) Rubbermaid heavy duty trash container with lock down lid to use as a rain barrel. I made 2 different designs based on research and observation of rain barrels currently in use. The easiest design was to cut some of the top of the lid (in a circular design) to allow rain water to collect inside. I then placed a piece of door screening underneath the lid, and over the rim. Lock down the lid, over the screen. Mosquitoes cannot access the water and the rain can still flow through. I did not mention that I installed a spigot at the bottom of the container. This design was used under an overhang (my word) gutter that had no downspout.

The second design is very similar but is used with a downspout. I cut a hole to fit the downspout in the lid. Place screening around the downspout before running it into the hole. I secured it with wire. Caulk around the downspout to seal.

I have also daisy chained rain barrels using pvc connector tubes.

I realize this topic is old but am happy to say that here on the west coast of sw fl, rain barrels are very much in use! As another poster mentioned, it is either feast or famine with rains here so rain barrels are a perfect solution! I use all 6 of my barrels to maintain my garden and all of my flowers and plants. The savings on my water bill is substantial!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM  
DIYHomeDesign

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here in Denver rainwater collection is illegal. It's a bummer, but if you get caught doing it you can get fined. I'm not sure if it's just in areas prone to drought, but you might want to check into it before installing a system.

Quick Reply