DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow Slugs are grosser than I thought!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 146 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
Wow Slugs are grosser than I thought!
Yeah, I have to admit that they are marginally worse than politicians.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 AM  
cdutoit

Dig a hole in your garden - approximately 6 inches deep. Then place a full cup of beer in the hole. Every night you should clean the hole as it will be full of slugs and you should also refill the beer when it's empty. Soon you will see that you are rid of our slugs

Chris du Toit
[url]http://buyindoorfloorfountains.com[/url]

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM  
TheClumsyCarpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdutoit View Post
Dig a hole in your garden - approximately 6 inches deep. Then place a full cup of beer in the hole. Every night you should clean the hole as it will be full of slugs and you should also refill the beer when it's empty. Soon you will see that you are rid of our slugs
Clever! You get him to dig the hole, and it gets rid of YOUR slugs!

Grady

Descriptions of a young DIYer that wants to learn how to do everything himself. This is the kind of thing you don't see on HGTV.

[URL="http://theclumsycarpenter.wordpress.com/"]http://theclumsycarpenter.wordpress.com/[/URL]

Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM  
funetical

I say salt them all!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM  
capman1

Diatomaceous earth from Lowe's or Home Depot. They also have these Pellets (sorry can't remember the brand name) that will keep the slugs out of your garden. Simply go to your Pesticide section of one of these stores or ask the clerk. I had slugs and and earwigs that were wreaking havoc on my zinnia and marigold. I'd salt them one night and kill a hundred. The next night it seemed like there were two hundred, so I used the beer and eggshell method. Killed some of them, but didn't solve the problem. Diatomaceous Earth and those Pellets did. I will try to find the name of those pellets (I had a clerk at Lowe's direct me to them). Once I put that stuff down, the slugs and earwigs were gone and the garden thrived. The downfall is that this stuff is poison. Use cautiously around areas that may be frequented by pets.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM  
funetical

See that's my issue with using poison. I have a ten lbs rat terrier that loves to be every where she isn't. I think poison would be more successful if you have the option.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM  
capman1

Yeah, that is a problem. Don't use it if you are going to have pets poking around the area. The thing is that while the beer method definitely works for killing slugs, I had so many of them it seemed like they all called their friends. "Hey, Kegger in Matt's garden." LOL Every day there were a pile of hung over slugs in the saucer of beer. It never seemed to actually reduce the occurrence of them and the damage to my plants.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thanks capman, using beer was killing me more than the slugs.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM  
StorageShedSmart

There are pellets available called "Escar-Go" which are basically iron pellets wrapped in slug bait. A high concentration of iron is fatal to slugs, but doesn't harm the soil or most other animals.

Also, slugs seem to be repelled by caffinated products. Adding coffee grounds to the soil in your garden should discourage the slugs from hanging around and will also add nutrients to the soil.

Third tip, slugs are allergic to copper. This one, as I understand it, is as much "fun" as salt (which I tend not to use, because I consider it inhumane). I'm told they even "spark", but I'm not sure if that's figurative or literal.

Speaking of salt, it's not a good idea to use it in the garden, because it's not too good for the plants and the effect tends to linger long after the salt itself has been "washed away".

Quick Reply