DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > What machine for digging shallow trenches ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Well said, Mr. President!
hahahhaa - I spend too much time in politics in addition to my Handyguys duties. They rarely cross paths but this is one area they do.

Personally I have hired folks for labor jobs. I have even visited job sites to see if someone wanted some after hours work. I hired some dry wall guys once that way.

The tough question comes when you hire a firm to do some work and then the labor THEY provide is of questionable legality. Do I as the homeowner have the responsibility of checking credentials? I would argue no. Meg Whitman got in trouble even tho she didn't break the law, it may have cost her the Governorship of California. She hired a firm to provide household services, the person that firm sent had provided fraudulent credentials to her employer. Whitman still took political heat and the illegal was celebrated by her opponents.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Unfortunately, what Meg did is done everywhere. Most people don't have Gloria Allred in their back pockets and have enough juice to sway the votes as Jerry Brown did. California's new motto: "Same ol -same ol!" Sorry for the rant....stay tuned for our regular broadcasting........

Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 326 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Origional Poster. you need to bury the irrigation as deep as required by local codes. Call and they will tell you how deep to bury.

Now Handyguy and Havasu have raised an interesting topic, and one that really kinda fits into this thread. If I go to the big box store, street corner and hire a day labor to dig my irragation trench, at what point am I responsible for their past, present, future illegal behavior?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm more concerned with the day laborer tripping on my property and filing a multi-million dollar lawsuit for permanent injuries, only to settle in his own country with 1/4 million in his back pocket. This happened quite often in the city I worked in.

For these reasons, if I need help trenching on my property, I'd look in my own neighborhood for a young kid with a strong back, who wants to put a new stereo in his jalopy, or a kid who wants/needs a new bicycle.

Quick Reply