DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Another hole in the kneewall...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM  
Jungle

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Another hole in the kneewall...

DIscovered new problem that the kitchen never had venting for the stove, so some dry rot has started see last photo. Smells sort of sweet the rot, any idea what to treat it with ? beside air and the dehumidifier. I guess paint. Problem is compounded because owner put 2" foam board on the kneewalls and osb and dry wall.

So the foam creates a vapour barrier and with the roof insulated heat and humidity get tapped in the kneewall top corner and no where to go, which has now created the rot in post in photo3.

This hatchways create great air flow but a bit strange don't you think? I've cut one hole on each side should create enough air flow, but i'm tempted to cut a couple more....?

1-hole.jpg   2-holte.jpg   3-dry-royt.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I can't see any dry rot in pic 3.
If ventilation is what you want, install a return air register grille(s) in the drywall.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM  
Jungle

If you look carefully you can see the discoloured brown at the bottom of the post, it is bit mushy too, with a 60 year old kitchen with no ventilation, it's not good. It smells and causes allergy symptoms. It must have been the 3 days of hot weather we just had that trigger it, deep mould in the wood. That and changing the insulation from a to b with still some a, the 2" of foam board.

This little openings are working well for air flow and are practical as access the storage area. I can put some shutters or doors to close sometimes. But i think i have to cut the hole above the kitchen aswell is where the problem is starting, even with the hood vent used there will some be excess of humidity. Means some venting into the bedroom above. The problem being noise or smells passing through, the house is a small bungalow only meant for 1-2 people it will be okay.

Last edited by Jungle; 07-24-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM  
Jungle

I discover antifreeze is just the ticket to kill dry rot. Seems to work right away.

Quick Reply