DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > blowing in fiberglass DIY

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 PM  
mayhem69

you guys need to google better, not just throw around your lack of knowledge and links.
Cellulose or fiberglass in a flood like Katrina would need to be replaced there Dick.
Cellulose is a relatively new product, talk to me 30 yrs. down the rd. Fiberglass is proven and has been around forever.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't know if I will be around in 30 years, but I hope to be.

The Katrina original fiberglass was removed and the drywall replaced. The wood had some moisture that was transferred to the fiberglass and there was mold 4 months later and everything had to be replaced. This did not happen in the other homes in the area that went to cellulose.

I learned from 40 years of engineering and construction experience and not just Googling. When you are an expert witness in a court trial, you see and participate in all the problems and learn from the evidence and testimony admitted (if you can keep awake). When you are cross examined you are definitely challenged.

I really get more fed up the fiberglass commercials when a 6" wall with R19 really is only R10 - R16 according to tests and may not be fire rated for more than an hour.

Dick

Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry if you don't understand the links prove my point. Otherwise, it's just an opinion.......

Gary

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default ok

Nice discussion,
I have to agree with Mudmixer, after 30 years, and seeing how poorly fiberglass actually works, Just as Dick mentioned.
And the old style cellulose is not as good as the new materials such as National Fiber manufactures.
And my question to Mayhem is, what is your background to assume folks are just Googlin their answers?
Just so we all know who the players are, this aint' poker,there is nothin to hide, and we are not gonna get nasty. This is how folks learn.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM  
taggmann

Got a similar question. Putting up a pole barn. Radiant floor heat and want to have it well insulated. It will have steel siding on both inside and outside so that leaves a wide open space to fill with insulation. It would be tough to put in batts so blown in seems the best option after the wall coverings are installed. It poses some questions .First is fiberglass blown in really worthless? What type of insulation will give best results without corroding the metal. Should I wrap with plastic inside and tyvec out? I have access to an older cellulose machine, will it work for fiberglass?
Thanks

Quick Reply