DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Cape cod insulation question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM  
centaurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Is this house built out of concrete block with stocco over foam on the outside. If it is the holes exposed to the attic should be at
least covered with insulation.
I didn't know before, but now I'm guessing it is...at least about the stucco and concrete block. I don't know about the foam under the stucco.

Quote:
The first picture, can't tell how big it is or what it is
The pic was taken with me standing on the ceiling joists looking down at the top of the exterior block wall. The wood towards the bottom is the floor joist of the attic. The size of the hole is smaller than my fist. It's about 3" in diameter.

Quote:
Solid wood, plywood or drywall in the attic and basement so a fire hasn't got a free run from one floor to another.
I know what you meant about fire stopping, but what did you mean by this sentence?

Quote:
The second picture. Can you explain better what we are looking at.
The second pic is the same as the first except it is to the right of the hole in the first pic. Same wall...same angle...just a little further down the wall...about 2' from the hole in pic1.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 723 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1266

Your first photos of the outside of the house, looks like the stucco is raised which let me beleive that someone applied foam and stucco and left the doors and windows without insulation. If there is foam out there, the holes that allow cold air into the blocks will defeat any insulation value you have from the foam. Any place where air can travel from one floor the the next is a fire problem and needs to be covered with anything that will take 30 minutes to burn thru. If you can see down into the wall below it also wants to be covered for fire protection.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply