DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Cathedral/vaulted ceiling in mobile home-insulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM  
Fredartic

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cathedral/vaulted ceiling in mobile home-insulation

Hi, here is my first thread. Glad to find this website.

We have bought a mobile home as a second home in NY state, double-wide with an addition, house has built in 1983. On winter 2012, we had ice dams that caused an infiltration of water. So, we removed all the insulation, treated the wood with a machine that we rent at Home depot to control the mold. We have noticed that the insulation was very poor and there was not much vent in the soffite. We checked in the family room and in the dining room which there is a cathedral ceiling to see what kind of insulation was there, so we noticed that the trust there are only 8 inches that lets 7 and half inches of deep for insulation, minest the minimum air flow for the ventilation of 1 inch, we can put only 6 inches and half... of what could be the best combination to maximize the R-Value in that circumstances?

1-) using baffles, 5 inches and half of Roxul Batt with one inch of styrofoam. I don't know if I can mix batt and styrofoam?

2-) using only stryrofoam, 2-3-4 inches?

3-) something else? but we don't consider spray foam or to add space with 2 x2 or other; we want to keep the actual height of the ceiling.

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 PM  
nealtw

Liked 678 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

Take the foam off the list unless you are using drywall to cover it.
http://inspectapedia.com/Energy/Foam_Board_Fire_Covering.htm
Do you have ridge vents? If you have a ridge board, every bay will need venting.

Last edited by nealtw; 04-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 PM  
Fredartic

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you very much for the link. There are full of informations and answers that I didn't find before.

Quick Reply