DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Condo sound proofing ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 PM  
condo

Right, not on the framing only worried about maintaining a gap between the two sheet of drywall at the humped area. I was able to get it sucked in a bit with some long drywall screws.

Was only asking about sag when it is being applied on a sheet of drywall that is standing vertical (prior to mounting)as the bathroom is too small to lay the sheet flat on the floor to apply the GG.

Bought some GG and sealant today so hopefully I will be doing the bathroom in the next few days.

Thanks ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM  
condo

I hung the drywall in the master bathroom today and results were minimal and hardly worth the time and effort. Maybe it will improve some after the GG sets up, kind of doubt it though ???

Anyway I guess I need to start looking at some other soundproofing methods besides the green glue ...

Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM  
condo

I contacted Green Glue today and was told the following:

"When first installed the GG is still a liquid, and therefore it is doing nothing to reduce the noise. Right now you're only getting the benefit of the added drywall, which is about 20% of the overall benefit you get with GG and drywall. Give it another three weeks or so and you have a noticeable improvement. If not, we'll have to understand if the noise if taking a flanking path around this wall."

So I will post after a few weeks and let anybody who is interested know what I find out at that time.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 PM  
Ted White
Soundproofer

Likes Given: 1

The supplier should have provided installation instructions that clarified the 30 day dry period.

Ted White

http://www.SoundproofingCompany.com

Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM  
condo

It's been over 30 days and the intial improvement I saw is all I achieved with the greenglue. It is all I am going to do in the bathroom for now with the limited space,

So I am thinking about using a layer of styrofoam sheeting on top of the existing drywall (working on the Master Room now) then soundboard and finish with 5/8" layer of drywall. My thinking is the styrofoam would not transfer vibration readily to the soundboard which would then dampen the sound and also make for three differrent layers of different weight materials and properties.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM  
Ted White
Soundproofer

Do you hear any improvement?

People don't use foam and drywall in the manner you described.

Ted White

Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM  
condo

Yes initially but when you look at the GreenGlue charts at their website the difference (in most all cases with & without GG) is about 5-10 dBs. It seems to me it would be more benificial and less costly to apply more layers of materials. An added difference of only 5-10 dBs is not what I was hoping for.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM  
Ted White
Soundproofer

A stud wall might improve 12 points with the addition of GG and drywall on one side. Presuming no flanking. There's always flanking, which will move down the achieved isolation.

• Flanking needs to be addressed. Ceiling, floors and adjacent walls.
  • Decoupled construction is always a better starting point. Would require removal of the original drywall OR the introduction of a 4 1/2" air cavity.

While designing a wall based on your intuition is fine, I might suggest you stick with lab tested assemblies. There are many to choose from, and have all been tested many times by many labs. Their mileage does not vary, you might say.

Feel free to post some pics or diagram if you can. Very helpful in these situations.

Ted White

Old 12-16-2011, 07:05 PM  
condo

The common wall is a staggered double 2x4 so isn't it already decoupled?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 AM  
Ted White
Soundproofer

Yes. Curious when I asked if you heard any improvement, you said "initially," what were you meaning? I assume you mean you immediately heard an improvement? It would be helpful to describe / quantify the improvement.

Ted White

Quick Reply