DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Dry walled garaged ceiling cant get to to insulate

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Default well

No storage, you cannot compress fiberglass insulation or it will not work...get any R- value. The floor area is really not built to support any weight, or high enough to get enough thickness of insulation, at least 8 inches.
My recommendation is to blow in insulation and seal it up.
It is also the least expensive route.And will give the best results.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 AM  
psi3000

But can I walk on the frame when I blow in the insulation or do i have to stand on a ladder the whole time?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Default sure

You can stand up there, just be careful, too much walking around on a 2x4 truss can cause damage to the ceiling , nail pops and cracks.
I would span a piece of 3/4 inch scrap plywood to walk on as you work up there, just in case you misstep and put your foot through the ceiling.

Just My
Made in the

Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM  
nma

Well, the question here is to do with weight ratings. You can certainly stand on it if you are normal weight - the thing is supporting the roof, it will bear your weight. What it is not rated for is moving weight of people living in it. Even setting aside the issue of the beams in inconvenient spaces, it is not strong enough for the weight of daily use.
You can certainly store things in it as long as you're sensible, and understand what it is, however, as others have pointed out this is not what it is designed for, and it is possible that if you use it a lot or put a lot of weight in it you may get popped nails or bowing - you'll see these if you get them though, so I wouldn't worry about it - just be sensible, and understand what the roof is designed for.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:51 PM  
woodchuck

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

The attic is a terrible place to store anything like light plastic, paper, and cloth. I've just cleaned out my mothers attic where they had stored everything but the kitchen sink. Most of it had to go straight to the curb for trash pickup. I suppose the heat is the problem.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 PM  
nma

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
The attic is a terrible place to store anything like light plastic, paper, and cloth. I've just cleaned out my mothers attic where they had stored everything but the kitchen sink. Most of it had to go straight to the curb for trash pickup. I suppose the heat is the problem.
Well yes, that's another issue.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It sounds as if the ceiling is drywall. Are the 3 other walls drywall, beside the house common wall? If they are, there is no need for the separating truss to be drywall (or wood sheathed) unless your LOCAL Code requires it, page #4: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf

Depends on when your garage was built with trusses: “The code now states that any space big enough to be used for attic storage must now be designed to carry that load whether it is intended for storage use or not.” From: Tri-County Truss Website

I need more information: 1.is the attic vented at the soffit and the ridge? 2. What is your location? 3. Is there a vapor barrier plastic on the attic ceiling above the drywall? 4. Since the common garage/house truss is sheathed, how many and what size vents are existing over the garage walls? (They may be minimal if someone else beside the builder installed the garage ceiling later).
There are much better choices than fiberglass.... (my last choice)

Be safe, Gary

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM  
AtticCare

Default Last choice?

Your last choice? Why? Don't you know any smart builders? This is THEIR first choice, 85% of builders to be honest. I have been a lisenced energy auditor, builder, hvac technician and more, and I feel sorry for anybody ignorant enough to dislike the worlds #1 insulation.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM  
nma

Well it's cheap, but that is about all it has going for it. It is pretty much the worst option on all other measures.

Quick Reply