DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Garage Ceiling installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM  
SoFaKingCity

Default Garage Ceiling installation

Hi all! I'm trying to install ceiling for my garage, and I don't know where to begin with . I don't know whether to go sheetrock, drywall or suspended ceiling??

People at the Lowes recommended sheetrock, but I think I am going to have some problem screwing them down since the frame is 47in far apart. Or how do you screw them down anyway?? Can I go with drywall on the ceiling instead of sheetrock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM  
SoFaKingCity

More pics

Old 05-04-2007, 10:11 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello SofaKingCity and welcome to the forum:
Your ceiling joists are spaced on 48" centers and that will not support drywall, Sheet rock or any other kind of gypsum wallbaord. The maximum span is 2' centers and that will sometimes show sags after the first year.
I recommend a suspended tile ceiling (with the metal rails) and I would use a fiberglass tile because it is more resistant to moisture.
Glenn

Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 PM  
SoFaKingCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hello SofaKingCity and welcome to the forum:
Your ceiling joists are spaced on 48" centers and that will not support drywall, Sheet rock or any other kind of gypsum wallbaord. The maximum span is 2' centers and that will sometimes show sags after the first year.
I recommend a suspended tile ceiling (with the metal rails) and I would use a fiberglass tile because it is more resistant to moisture.
Glenn
Thanks Glenn, another question concerning suspended ceiling, there is moving garage door and garage door brain box is sitting in the middle. How can I get around to it?? thanks

Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Suspend the ceiling 2" below the joists (the minum working space), then your only obstruction to work around is the vertical angle that holds the opener motor up.
Glenn

Old 05-04-2007, 03:09 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's another method to hold the ceiling up. You see how they used strips on the rafters to strengthen the metal (probably 2 X 4s). You can do the same to the bottom of the joists and then use the gypsum wallboard if it is that critical to you. It is a lot of extra expense and trouble though; hope you have a 16d nail gun.
Glenn

Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 PM  
SoFaKingCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Suspend the ceiling 2" below the joists (the minum working space), then your only obstruction to work around is the vertical angle that holds the opener motor up.
Glenn
The problem is that the middle garage door roller rail isn't level like the sides. I cant work below it because ceiling will meet moving garage door, and I cant work above it since you need 2" space.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You need need more ceiling joists for any ceiling to work properly. Add a ceiling joist in between the ones you have now. Then attach them to the rafters with 2x4s A Drywall ceiling is going to be heavy. Make sure you have a good attachment between the rafters and the ceiling joists.

Just a thought, since it is a garage..

You could install a foam board ceiling. Some of it will accept paint. Nothing any more lightweight out there. Easy to cut, light enough and stiff enough to handle.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 05-05-2007, 11:13 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry, I thought it looked like more space between the door and the ceiling joists. The foam board mentioned by Square Eye sounds like a good alternative; ridgid an light weight. If that wold still cramp the garage door or works, you might consider raising one or two sections to clear it.
Glenn

Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Yikes...

One issue with foam board is its flammability....sometimes it needs a non-flammable coating or sheetrock over it. Sounds like adding some joists is the best solution...then sheetrock.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply