DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > How do I know if my basement is insulated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Reading this and eating breakfast at the same time and I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
This is STRICTLY in the interests of demonstrating the ability of the infrared camera to distinguish shades of temperature accuracy ... if you choose to see it as anything else, it will be between you and your spouse.
Good disclaimer. . .

Old 05-08-2014, 12:53 PM  
InTooDeep

So to update the situation. I opened the wall. I have pink insulation in the walls with tar paper as the barrier. Problem is that the rim joists are not insulated. The basement is finished with drywall. I plan to have the basement as livable space all year round. Is it necessary to cut the ceiling to put insulation in them patch it back up? Or would I be fine with just the wall insulation?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

If you are renting the space you may want to insulate the ceiling. There are lots of houses that are missing that insulation. I guess it depends on how much heat you think you are loosing to it.
If you were going to do the whole ceiling, you just remove 1 ft strips every four feet and you can get it in there.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 PM  
InTooDeep

I do plan on renting it. But what's the advantage of insulating the ceiling when the plan is for me to pay for heating the whole house. Any heat lost in the basement would just go to heating the main floor. My main concern is losing heat to the outside.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Noise................

Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 AM  
InTooDeep

I may do that in the future if the noise transfer is exceptionally bad. But right now my concern is heating the basement. Can a basement be heated adequately in the winter without insulation in the rim joists?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I think you will be ok if rim joists are sealed up good without insulation. I have seen construction where there are big gaps around the rim and air flow is the problem more than insulation. Don’t know if you can access that from outside or not or how house is sided.

You said its always cold. What kind of heating is in there just a single duct or is it set up for heat?

Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 147

As Bud has mentioned, two areas that need to be addressed are air infiltration and thermal transfer. Merely adding insulation will do little if you have voids allowing movement of air into the basement. Weather sealing the house envelope is as important as adding insulation. Unfortunately, you have to have access to the framing to caulk and seal places where you can have air leaks.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Depending on where the house is, in a wet zone like where I am, air flow is stopped at the vapour barrier and we leave holes in the sheeting to allow the house to breath. Water is stopped on the outside with the house wrap. We treat the wall just like the ceiling/attic , air behind insulation.

Quick Reply