DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Insulating 2 1/2 story attic room--with Dormers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 PM  
robertwc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
With no insulation in the rafters (sloped ceilings), your rooms will be hot from the solar gain of the roofing. Demo the drywall and insulate, using either the vented system or unvented system (conditioned attic); http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-102-understanding-attic-ventilation?full_view=1

Location, location; http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/guides-and-manuals/irc-faqs/irc-faq-conditioned-attics?searchterm=attic+

Gary
I am new to the forum. But... I am an insulator by trade. I would reccomend spf open cell because of the fact that it has the best resistance to solar heat gain. Also you would not have to have that area that is sprayed vented. I do realize that it may cost a little more but your comfort level versus any other form of insulation will be so much better

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM  
swindmill

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went through this about 2 years ago when I gutted and renovated a 1/2 story, including the addition of a large dormer. Part of my issue was that I could only get about 5" of insulation between the rafters, and lowering the ceiling height was not an option. To make a long story short, after months of reading and getting advice on these forums, I went with an unvented/conditioned attic using open cell spray foam. My main concern was the radiant heat, and this certainly performs much, much better than the vented/fiberglass setup that I removed. It is still hotter in the half story than the rest of the house, but it is very livable.

I do wonder what the difference would be if I had the room to do a vent space/radiant barrier/foam setup, but I don't regret going unvented given what I had to work with.

EDIT: Good to see a pro recommend this setup right above me. ; )

Quick Reply