DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Insulating from the outside

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

What I am trying to figure out, is about three questions. Are the ends of the joist sitting on the concrete or do they have to be supported in order to remove the bad timber. Or is the timber thick enough and enough left to machine away all the bad stuff and fix it up. From the inside it looks like there is a 2x? under the timber.
Drilling a hole thru the center will NOT weakin it, we shouldn't need the bigger hole now that you can see in from the basement.
Side note, the grayish powder on the shiplap in your first photo today and on the underside of the floor sheeting in your last photo looks like mold and will have to be looked at too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzamadman View Post
The rest of them are bricked up.
Explain some more, can't make sence of this?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think the floor joists are on part of the foundation, there is only the walls on the timber. The picture( the last one) was one of two or three spots that were open, the rest ate bricked up and you cannot see yo the outside timber, I think the powder you are seeing is from the old insulation, but I will look into that a bit further to make sure it is not mold.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

You can buy a test kit for any suspected mold. better to be safe, while you have it open.
Back to the brick, Is the brick a wall on the inside all the way up to the floor or just the cavity above the wall, perhaps an earlyer repair.

We would need atleast 1 1/2" of the floor joist sitting on the wall but we have no reason to beleive it hasn't got rot on the bottom too. So maybe back to cutting the hole so you can get a hand in there to feel how much is sitting on the wall and how good the bottom of the joist is. How good is the floor in the basement?

Last edited by nealtw; 06-24-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 PM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The brick fills the cavity between the foundation and joists.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzamadman View Post
The brick fills the cavity between the foundation and joists.
Is that in the area that you have open now? Almost sounds like somebodys repair.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 AM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The bricks are in the basement,and cannot be seen from the outside.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 AM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw
You can buy a test kit for any suspected mold. better to be safe, while you have it open.
Back to the brick, Is the brick a wall on the inside all the way up to the floor or just the cavity above the wall, perhaps an earlyer repair.

We would need atleast 1 1/2" of the floor joist sitting on the wall but we have no reason to beleive it hasn't got rot on the bottom too. So maybe back to cutting the hole so you can get a hand in there to feel how much is sitting on the wall and how good the bottom of the joist is. How good is the floor in the basement?
The floor in in the basement is fine,Today I will cut the "inspection"hole and will try to get a better look from the basement also. Thanks for all your time, and patience, I appreciate it,

Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 325 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 108

As Neal mentioned you need to get the rotten wood out of there by chisel, scraper, Jab saw etc. another method I find works good is drilling. I have a large flat drill bit (Spade bit) and an extension and you can drill overlapping holes at arm’s reach if needed. It’s pretty easy to tell when you hit solid wood and that’s the point to stop.

One way to look at it is the rotten wood isn’t holding anything up now so taking it out isn’t doing anything structurally. Most likely it has been like that for many years.

I have found many places similar in old houses and after getting the rotten wood out and trueing up as best you can what is left, treating the wood and patching the foundation to give a flat surface to build back up from, I have then replaced what I took out with chunks of pressure treated wood from inside or outside or both. I like to make the blocks a drive fit and taper the leading edge of the block and really pound them in and then a few screws to keep it together (or lag bolts). If the damage is just over a short distance this is what I have done. Now if the whole beam is bad that’s a different problem but I don’t think that’s your case because you would have seen structural problems in the house.

I keep an ice pick in my tool box. Great for starting screws and also for testing punkie wood.

The problem that caused the rotting in the first place is going to be corrected with your new siding and flashings.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM  
monzamadman

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ok this morning I cut out a section between the floor joists,this is what it looks like from the outside. My plan is to cut out what I need to replace above the bottom timber, and pt a new one in,in about a 32in section. We have a large timber from the side of our barn that feel off last year. It is the same size as what is there. There will be about 3 to 4 feet that I will have to patch in.

image-3726489740.jpg

Quick Reply